Renewal question – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Renewal question

Community Member
Topic starter
(@massspectrometry)

Hello everyone. I have a question about renewing the temporary residence permit. I read that you only have to actually live there for 14 days a year. Is it possible to get a visa, then an apartment, apply for the permit, and then afterwards cancel the apartment and stay elsewhere until I need to renew? And just come back and get a new apartment when it's almost 1 year so I can pass the accomodations requirements? It would be easier on my current situation 🙏Thank you for reading

Topic Tags
2 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

That is applicable only for holders of a Golden Visa.

The general rule is that you must not be absent from Portugal for a period exceeding 6 months continuous, or 8 months cumulative during the period of validity of the permit.

There is another more stringent requirement to consider if wishing to apply for permanent resident status after 5 years.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @massspectrometry

Is it possible to get a visa, then an apartment, apply for the permit, and then afterwards cancel the apartment and stay elsewhere until I need to renew? And just come back and get a new apartment when it's almost 1 year so I can pass the accomodations requirements?

As x-camone has pointed out, the 14 day stay only applies to the Golden Visa program. Even then what you have suggested in the quote above would not comply with the GV conditions as the investment has to be maintained until you obtain permanent residency.
Permanent residency can be applied for after 5 years of residency, but only staying in Portugal for 14 days a year would prevent you being granted it.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online