Residence visa, UK citizens, mother and son. – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Residence visa, UK citizens, mother and son.

10 Posts
5 Users
10 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@tribalfusion)

Hi/ola. My first post and it's about a residence visa for my mother and myself. I visited Portugal twice last year and would like to reside there with my elderly mother (89). We sold our house in the UK last month and the mortgage for the buyers has been completed, we are now waiting on completion.

My mother has enough pension to satisfy the requirements, £20,000 pa she receives and also has some savings, the sale of the house will be to buy an apartment in the Algarve plus money left over.

I've been looking at the visa form and I understand that she will need a 12 month lease, Portuguese bank account and NIF. What I'm unsure about is whether I can apply on the same visa with her, as her pension and savings is enough to cover two persons. I currently do online work with crypto, betting and online marketing so I don't have a regular income or savings, would this be a problem?

Tribal

Topic Tags
9 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Hi and welcome to the forum from me.

I'm going to hazard a guess here and say yes, I think you would have problems. To the best of my knowledge, you won't be able to lodge a joint visa application because you won't satisfy any criteria I'm aware of which would allow for financial or other dependency to be a factor. Either you'd need to be a minor or in some way incapacitated (if it were to work that way round), or you'd have to be demonstrably financially supporting your mother. 

If you couldn't both meet the requirements independently, it looks to me like a non-runner. But I am very much a layperson (albeit reasonably well self-informed through longstanding residence and keeping up with news and information on immigration and other matters), as opposed to any sort of professional advisor.

Maybe some other poster(s) could provide some grounds for optimism, if any exist.

7 Replies
Community Member
(@tribalfusion)

@x-camone Hi and thanks for the reply.

The other option I was thinking of was to apply for my mother and do a separate application for myself, how much money would I need in the bank? The house has been sold subject to contract and I could deposit some of it in my bank for 6 months or more, in the mean I could stay 90 days in Portugal out of every 180.

Tribal

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@tribalfusion I didn't answer your post when I first saw it for the same reason @x-camone stated. You are in an odd situation. I would defer to the professionals at Ei! Assessoria Migratória | Expats Portugal

Community Member
(@tribalfusion)

@jonesdn2020 Ok thanks, I'll email them.

VIP Member
(@antonio_f)

@tribalfusion Money in the bank is not enough, you have to show regular income. The other possibility might be the new workers' visa, which will allow you to be in Portugal for 4 months, giving you that time to secure a job (with a signed contract), and then request a Residence Permit. (check https://vistos.mne.gov.pt/en/national-visas/necessary-documentation/job-seeker-visa)

Community Member
(@tribalfusion)

@antonio_f Ok, thanks for the information. It's looking like a no go for myself other than staying for 90 days out of every 180.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@tribalfusion In addition to the money in the bank we took the money from the sale of our home and created a passive revenue stream that satisfied the income requirement. We are renting in Portugal.

Community Member
(@tribalfusion)

@jonesdn2020 This is what I'm thinking now. I'll look on Flippa for websites that generate passive income to satisfy the visa requirements. I've run my own sites before for affiliate marketing and ranked them using SEO techniques that I learned.

Community Member
(@aspidistra)

As well as seeking professional advice re the visa application, I would also be sure to also seek advice in advance about medical insurance for a 89 year old. Showing you have some private health insurance is part of the visa process, so I would also run your mother’s application past one or the insurance or medical advice people who are affiliated with this website.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events

Club Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Access to our Migration Tuesdays Dream Team weekly webinar
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Club Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Club Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our partners