Residency status after work contract ends – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Residency status after work contract ends

Community Member
Topic starter
(@nickj1)

I'm a non-EU citizen and have been offered a permanent salary-paid role in Portugal.  Can anyone advise what happens if my employment ends - is my right to residency ended, or can I and my family remain thereafter and settle permanently?

Thanks

6 Replies

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Reputable Member

That depends on the type of visa you obtain. But, as far as I recall, you only obtain permanent resident status after 5 or 6 years, and you must fullfill all conditions whenever the temporary card is renewed.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@nickj1)

Thank you @antonio_f that's not too bad then, as I'd been concerned that it might never confer subsequent residency.

I'm not quite sure the reason, but I notice that my posts on this forum are being subjected to prior moderation.  Is this normal now?  I remember that when I first joined a year or two ago, it wasn't the case and I could post freely.  Is it because I haven't posted for a while?  Thanks

2 Replies
Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@nickj1 I guess it's normal, as all my posts show that warning the moment I post them.

Community Member
(@nickj1)

Thanks very much for the reply @antonio_f it's good to know I'm not the only one.  I recall that when I was last using this forum a year ago, posts were accepted straight away.

Perhaps it's a way of getting participants to pay the €17 per month fee then.  Anyway, it makes it clear the objective of the site.

Admin UserGroup
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Hello @nickj1 and @antonio_f

Just to clarify the situation on moderation of posts.

We moderate new posts up to a certain limit for all new members. We do get people joining simply to post scams, direct adverts, etc., and we must maintain some means to control such posts and possibly ban or delete the member.

We use WordPress software and the options to control their moderation settings are limited. In the last year or so, they seem to have introduced new AI settings which has meant that some of our established members have reverted to requiring moderation, even though we have not changed any settings. We think it is something to do with the format of some email addresses. We have spent quite a lot of time trying to resolve this but without success so far. We are in the process of upgrading the forum when hopefully, the problem will be resolved. Meanwhile, we have a team of people that are notified immediately a post requires moderation and we endeavour to attend to this as quickly as possible.

If any of our members have experience of this problem with WordPress, I would welcome your contact. 

Please be assured, this has nothing to do with the membership level and is not some ploy by us to get people to upgrade.

Regards

Gerry

1 Reply
Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@gerry I have no problem with moderation, especially because of spam and inappropriate language (which I haven't seen here so far).

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online