Residency - "sufficient income" – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Residency - "sufficient income"

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

A friend and I were discussing the "sufficient income" requirement for a D7 visa, he showed me a number of websites offering visa advice which refer to this being €635 a month or €7260 a year. Unfortunately the information on those websites is neither up to date or accurate.

The minimum wage is updated annually and became €665 a month as from January 2021. What these sites also missed is that the monthly minimum wage is based on the worker receiving 14 payments a year not 12. (Portuguese workers get two bonuses each year equivalent to a month's salary (one bonus for their summer holiday and the other for Christmas).

So for 2021 the "sufficient income" requirement is not €635 x 12 = €7260, it's actually €665 x 14 = €9310.

This may affect those of you who are transferring funds to Portugal to meet the "sufficient income" requirement and have only transferred €7260.

6 Replies
3 Replies
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member
Posted by: @old-bloke

A friend and I were discussing the "sufficient income" requirement for a D7 visa, he showed me a number of websites offering visa advice which refer to this being €635 a month or €7260 a year. Unfortunately the information on those websites is neither up to date or accurate.

The minimum wage is updated annually and became €665 a month as from January 2021. What these sites also missed is that the monthly minimum wage is based on the worker receiving 14 payments a year not 12. (Portuguese workers get two bonuses each year equivalent to a month's salary (one bonus for their summer holiday and the other for Christmas).

So for 2021 the "sufficient income" requirement is not €635 x 12 = €7260, it's actually €665 x 14 = €9310.

This may affect those of you who are transferring funds to Portugal to meet the "sufficient income" requirement and have only transferred €7260.

I've long wondered about whether the minimum required amount for residence should be calculated on 12 or 14 months' min sal pa. Loth though I am to disagree with you, OB, in the light of a full read of this, I'd say 12 : Meios de Subsistência 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@x-camone

That does indeed indicate (for Article 52.1d immigration purposes) they are multiplying the minimum monthly wage (€665) by 12 to arrive at an annual income of €7980, whereas the actual annual income in accordance with Articles 263, 264 and 273 of the Código do Trabalho is €9310 (€665 x14).

I can only assume they don't think immigrants will need the summer and Christmas extra income payments (each equivalent to a months pay) to finance themselves going on holiday.

Thanks for bringing that court decision to my attention.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@x-camone

Oddly enough I've just discovered this on the DGERT website.

In Portugal, the minimum wage is set by the government, after consultation with the social partners, so that on 1 January it increased to 665 euros (against 635 euros last year), as published in Decree-Law No. 109-A / 2020 . As 14 salaries are paid per year, the new minimum is equivalent to 775 euros per month.

But despite those words seeming to contradict the court's decision you linked to I believe court decisions carry greater weight.

Community Member
(@jeanne)
Estimable Member

That's probably because those websites copy - paste from each other. So much easier than doing any actual research. 

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@jeanne

So true, and what concerns me is that many people read what these sites publish without verifying the accuracy of the information then repeat the information as if it was fact.

Community Member
(@jeanne)
Estimable Member

I can't complain too much, as my paycheck comes from  doing research for people who don't know how to or don't want to do it themselves. 😉

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online