South African birth certificated needed - lawyer or company recommendation – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

South African birth certificated needed - lawyer or company recommendation

Admin
Topic starter
(@astridff)

Hello,

I am in the process of getting paperwork together for my application for Portuguese citizenship but need a lawyer or company in South Africa who can help me with a copy of my birth certificate (needs to be less than a year old). I looked on the South African Embassy website and although the €10 fee is attractive, they say it will take between 1 to 2 years before it arrives. Crazy.

So if I use a lawyer or company it can be fast-tracked to a few weeks.

Wondering if there are any recommendations for companies who do this? Some of the sites I have seen look a little dodgy.

Thanks

Astrid

3 Replies

Premium Member
(@andrewcza)

Community Member
(@outsidethebox)

Hi Astrid,

I wondered who you used in the end?

I need a birth certificate + criminal check with Apostilles asap. I am in Lisboa, so wondered if it is worth trying the SA Consulate in Lisboa (they don't seem to respond to emails).

I have also been told 6months+ on most SA docs, but hoping for the best.

Thanks!

1 Reply
Community Member
(@andrew_za)

@outsidethebox

I had to go through this last year when coming to Portugal.

For the unabridged birth certificate go with fasttracking.co.za - excellent service, communication and fast results. https://www.fasttracking.co.za/fees - the expedited service includes DHL and is R2850. (Owner's name is Adri) (mine took a few days - so estimate 2-3 weeks including shipping)

For the Criminal Record check use Clearance Central - https://clearancecentral.co.za/ - mine took < 2 weeks including the Apostille but recently (Nov 2021) I used them too to Apostille the certification of validity for my SA drivers license and DIRCO was super backlogged (took a month +/- to Apostille). This will also set you back around R2800 for the police cert and Apostille. I am not sure though how this will work if you are outside of SA in terms of the collection of fingerprints. Call the owner Hamilton - he is excellent and will advise. I believe the above is the best price vs. time vs. service ratio that you will find out there.

And yes - these processes through normal channels take many months (if you are lucky enough to get a result). Rather pay than waste months stressing and waiting.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online