Traveling and eventually moving to Portugal – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Traveling and eventually moving to Portugal

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jeanmori7)
Trusted Member

Hello there, Mt wife and I are from Quebec, Canada.  The company I work for has started a pilot program called "Work from anywhere".  Portugal is one of the countries included in this pilot.  The deal is you travel to one of these countries and can stay there for up to 90 days.  The next time will be this spring but I don't believe it would be wise or possible given covid and etc.  Then my guess this will most likely be in December 2022.

My first question: what is the best site for renting for 3 months.  I checked AirBNB but I haven't found anything suitable.  I found other sites where they want us to sign for 1 year.  Since I will be working remote fast and reliable internet access is a must.  Then my wife needs a kitchen 🙂 and she does not like high-rise.

We will take that 3 months to travel around Portugal and find a place to leave and retire.  If you have any ideas where to start let me know.

Thank you in advance.

6 Replies
2 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @jeanmori7

Hello there, Mt wife and I are from Quebec, Canada.  The company I work for has started a pilot program called "Work from anywhere".  Portugal is one of the countries included in this pilot.  The deal is you travel to one of these countries and can stay there for up to 90 days.  The next time will be this spring but I don't believe it would be wise or possible given covid and etc.  Then my guess this will most likely be in December 2022.

My first question: what is the best site for renting for 3 months.  I checked AirBNB but I haven't found anything suitable.  I found other sites where they want us to sign for 1 year.  Since I will be working remote fast and reliable internet access is a must.  Then my wife needs a kitchen 🙂 and she does not like high-rise.

We will take that 3 months to travel around Portugal and find a place to leave and retire.  If you have any ideas where to start let me know.

Thank you in advance.

I have seen reports that the PT tax authority consider that to be working in PT and therefore subject to being taxed in PT. Similarly a 90 day tourist stay as a third country citizen does not permit you to work in PT.

The other potential pitfall is the new law that came into force on the 1st January re working from home in PT. Amongst a raft of measures which include your employer not being permitted to contact you outside of working hours (could be a problem with the PT/Canada time difference) is the fact your employer is legally obliged to pay you an amount towards your rent & utilities.

It may be beneficial for you or your company to check with a Portuguese lawyer regarding what you propose. I don't want to rain on your parade but things aren't always as simple as they first appear.

Premium Member
(@jeanmori7)

Trusted Member

@old-bloke hi there,thank you for your reply.I will let my employer update me or us on that but I will mention what you said.  My employer is a decent size bank (15,000 employees) and hundreds of people wanting to take advantage of this.  The pilot is in the beginning of its second year and I am sure that there are some  adjustments still to make.

Admin UserGroup
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Hello and a warm welcome to our community @jeanmori7

You appear to have created the same post twice, so I have deleted the other version assuming this was a mistake. 

Sounds like a very interesting offer from your company and I hope Portugal works out for you and your wife. I'll leave other members to recommend rental companies based on their experience.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@jeanmori7)

Trusted Member

@gerry Hello and thank you.  Sorry about the double posts.  I should have started on the "New members start here" for an Intro.

Premium Member
(@daleglencullen-net)

Hi Gerry

We moved to Portugal mid Dec and our house will only be ready in Feb. We used booking.com to find a house to rent for the ± 3 months.

We were supposed to move at the beginning of December, but must have been one of the first people to catch omicron. The worst symptom we had was messing with our travel plans. (We only tested because we needed the PCR test for the flight.)

Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Reputable Member

Hi Jean

We have done several rentals via Airbnb for a few months. Might be worth double checking the settings you are searching under as it is possible to look at rentals that are offered monthly, not just weekly, to fit most budgets. Avoiding the high season of course as availability and costs can go silly then.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online