US Citizen in UK Visa/Work Permit Question – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

US Citizen in UK Visa/Work Permit Question

Community Member
Topic starter
(@achandle)

Hi everybody, 

I'm a US Citizen currently living in the UK and I've been offered a job in Lisbon. I'm meant to start next month, and I am very confused about the visa process - do I need a visa/residency permit before I arrive, or can I fly into Portugal like normal (as a tourist, with no visa) and then apply from within Portugal? I have been trying to find out, but keep getting conflicting information. 

There is an added complication that my US passport expires in August 2022 - is this going to be a problem? I can't get it renewed in London before I leave since they are not doing expedited renewals, and some websites say that my passport must be valid for 3 months after end date of visa...would this be a year after I arrive? Or 90 days on a tourist entry?

The company I will be working for has not been very helpful, I think the language barrier makes it difficult. If anybody can offer advice I would be so grateful! 

Thank you!

3 Replies

Admin
(@thomasribatejo)
Reputable Member

You cannot apply for a visa on arrival, this process must be conducted in advance.  If you do not do this, you risk numerous complications, and the likely need to remove yourself from the country to re-start the process.  

The process to apply from the UK is to use VFS (to whom Portugal, like many countries, have outsourced the process) here: 

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/prt/

I cannot advise with certainty on the passport issue, I'm afraid.

Premium Member
(@jeanne)
Reputable Member

My personal, past experience (albeit not in Portugal) is that the employer's HR department arranged the visa/work permit for the foreigner that it wants to hire. Are there special visas for that type of situation?  The visas discussed in this forum are the D7 and D2 - are there perhaps other types available?

1 Reply
Admin
(@thomasribatejo)

Reputable Member

@jeanne you're right that it often is/arguably should be for them to sort/help with... but unfortunately many don't, and it's a case of "sort it, or we'll give the job to someone else" in some areas of work...

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online