VFS Appointment System – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

VFS Appointment System

14 Posts
6 Users
30 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@misticjeff)

The VFS appointment system may be experiencing some issues.  The fine people at Ei! are trying to schedule my D7 appointment in San Fran and are being met with no appointments available anywhere in the U.S.

I did some investigating and found on Twitter that VFS are advising to:

1. Log Out
  2. Clear Cache, Cookies and Browser History
  3. Restart your computer
  4. Wait 30min and try again

They also suggest using Firefox and Google Chrome.  If you still have trouble you can DM them on Twitter:  @vfsglobalcare

Topic Tags
13 Replies
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@misticjeff)

Just an update from my understanding of the situation based on social media.  Demand is outstripping supply regarding appointments at the various VFS locations (at least here in the U.S.) Thus i'm ready to go but must now play the waiting game for an appointment.

Premium Member
(@sunil)

We are finding ourselves in the same boat, @misticjeff (altho we are in a region covered by the DC consulate). Although I'm sorry to hear you're stuck waiting, it's at least good to know we aren't alone! Please do share if you hear anything else about appointment availability or changes to the system!

1 Reply
 Wcg2
Community Member
(@wcg2)

@sunil Hi Thea! I heard DC VFS allowed mail-in applications for D7 and other long-term residency visas, while San Francisco VFS specifies that it requires in-person appointments. Wondering if that's true? I received conflicting answers when I emailed VFS in DC. Their website states short-term visas require in-person biometrics but it doesn’t specify the same for long-term visas. I've seen videos posted by people from Texas who said they just mailed in their applications to DC VFS with no in-person appointments, and were approved. Confusing...

Community Member
(@opendoor)

Hello all,

I'm trying to book an appointment with VFS in London. Their website is hopeless & crashes half the time.

When it does work, it says they currently have no apointments available.

None at all.

I tried calling their 'helpline' who (eventually) confirmed there are no apointments - and they have no idea when there will be any.

That premium rate call cost me more than £20.

Does anyone know any way around this?

Any help appreciated. Otherwise stuck in a Franz Kafka zone.

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@misticjeff)

Posted by: @opendoor

Hello all,

I'm trying to book an appointment with VFS in London. Their website is hopeless & crashes half the time.

When it does work, it says they currently have no apointments available.

None at all.

I tried calling their 'helpline' who (eventually) confirmed there are no apointments - and they have no idea when there will be any.

That premium rate call cost me more than £20.

Does anyone know any way around this?

Any help appreciated. Otherwise stuck in a Franz Kafka zone.

I think that for the time being, we are all stuck in limbo.  Hopefully soon some appointments will open up.  We are all waiting anxiously!

Community Member
(@opendoor)

@misticjeff 

Thanks MisticJeff

Yes, ummm, I think 'Limbo' is a polite word for it.

The last 4 times I tried the VFS website, it was completely unreachable (server errors etc) - if I had managed to get it work (I've tried 3 different browser) I suspect there would still be no appointments available.

Would anyone be able to advise - is it possible to just turn up at their London office without an appointment?

I e-mailed them a few days back to ask, but have been ignored.

JAR
Community Member
(@jar)

Hi all--Very frustrating for all of you--we were in your shoes 14 mos. ago during pretty much "no bodies" available to help at the SF Consulate and appts tight at VFS.

Having said that, we had EiMigrante help us w/all steps of the D7 visa process. Many have done it themselves, but the differentiator for us was their relationships w/the consulates such that they were able to get a VFS appt w/out much problem which kept us on track for 6-mo process from start (Oct 2020-March 21). They were worth every penny that we spent using their services. You might check in w/Ei to see if they are able to do an al a carte service of help w/VFS appts. We also used them post-moving here for getting us ready for our SEF appt. Rodolfo Pellicano (atty and somewhat of an Ei partner) was fantastic. Our appt was a breeze due to his incredibly familiarity w/the people working there and the many docs that were required. Clearly, the interest in moving here has really increased since last year......

3 Replies
Community Member
(@konni)

@Hank_2021 and I also used EiMigrante to get our VFS appointment and help with our packet and securing the apartment we'd found online. We definitely recommend them. The peace of mind knowing we have knowledgeable people in our corner is totally worth it!

Community Member
(@opendoor)

Hello again all. Thanks fo the comments.

Just to update on the subject of trying to get a D7 entry visa in London.

The VFS booking system is, in effect, currently broken,

The website won't work at least half the time. As a web designer, I can assure that's not because of errors at the user end, it's because the backend of the site is not fit for pupose.

When I do manage to get through, there are absolutely no appointments available for the whole of 2022. None at all. (I can't check 2023 because the website won't go that far.)

I've also tried three major Portuguese agencies who work with visa assistance. All very helpful, but all have independenly told me that there is no other way to start the D7 process. It HAS to be done via VFS in London.

Which is currently 100% non-functional. (did I mention that their 'walk-in' service, as advertised on their website, is also currently closed, I went there to check)

The bottom line is that, currently, entry from London, UK on a D7 four month visa (in order to begin the residency visa with the SEF in Portugal) is simply not possible for new applicants.

Bearing in mind that the Portuguese Chamber of Commerce has just had a 'roadshow' in London to encourage people to move there, this all comes as quite a shock.

I was lucky enough to find and buy a lovely appartment in Portugal, but currently, I can't go and live there.

🙁

Community Member
(@konni)

@opendoor oh wow! that is crazy. I hope they figure it all out soon, so you can get things started!

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal