Where is my Portuguese residence card? – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

[Solved] Where is my Portuguese residence card?

20 Posts
8 Users
14 Likes
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@jonesdn2020)

We are attending our SEF appointments in the next couple of weeks. Our lawyer is filling out the application and we are told they will use CTT to mail our residence cards to our home.

We don't understand why SEF would do that when our bank will not. Our bank told us there is security issues with the mail and we needed to come into our local branch to get our credit cards.

Our building has the mailboxes inside the locked entry door, and we do occasionally get mail.  

Thoughts on any recent experience with this and how long it took? FYI - We are in Lisbon.

19 Replies

Premium Club Member
(@blaze451)

that's strange. I am with Millennium and they posted my debit card to my UK address, and then when I applied for a credit card it was posted to my Portuguese address no problem. My mailbox is attached to the wall outside.

I However would ask if they can use DHL or another courier with tracking, as CTT are god awful.

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@blaze451 

Our Millennium account manager told us to inform or local branch to hold the credit cards for pickup due to CTT issues they had been seeing.

The local branch told us that was not possible, and they would be mailed.

Six weeks later we asked our account manager where the credit cards were. He told us they were at the local branch for pickup.

Fun times.

Ask our Expat Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

These issues are variable, by bank and by branch.  When I was with NovoBanco, my original branch always held them; my second one posted them wherever I asked; my last one was incredibly unhelpful in doing more or less the opposite of anything I asked.  Crédito Agrícola, to whom I moved, default to posting to my registered address, apparently from a central location.

CTT issues are also variable, and greatly, by location.  When we lived in outer greater Lisbon, it was hit and miss, and service was poor and slow.  Here in Santarém, we cannot fault any aspect of what they do (and they are much more reliable than the alternatives, as we know to our cost) - we are fortunate.

Premium Member
(@grudgij)

We had our SEF appointment in Espinho in early June and received our residence cards at our address in Lisbon 2-3 weeks later.

We were at home when the first card arrived. The postal worker delivered the envelope to our door, even though we live in an apartment block, and checked that it was for the correct recipient.

We were not home when the second card was delivered. We found a note in our mailbox, informing us that we needed to go to the local CTT to collect.

3 Replies
VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@grudgij 

Hi Joanna,

Thank you! That was the answer we were looking for. Our building has had the intercom broken for 6 months now. We were just hoping that CTT would leave the notice if we were not home.

We feel better knowing that they will not just drop it in the unsecured mailbox.

Premium Club Member
(@blaze451)

@jonesdn2020 I don't want to pour cold water on that theory but CTT are a law unto themselves. As Thomas mentioned in another thread they vary in competence from region to region. Where I am they are fairly useless, they have put mail in the flat below mines mailbox even though my mailbox specifically has my name and number marked on it. They have even claimed my address doesn't exist!...only to then deliver a few days later. They have also claimed on several occasions I wasn't in when I most certainly was. I think half the time they just couldn't be bothered to attempt delivery and left it at the post office for me to have to go and collect.

Lately they have got better, probably because I was getting so much stuff delivered they eventually twigged that I do exist and am usually always in to take delivery.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@blaze451 

CTT and cold water go hand in hand. The CTT office is next door so I would prefer to pick up important items there then have them sitting in our unsecured mailbox in the foyer. 

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@jonesdn2020)

They have arrived. Thank you to @emergentt for the heads up on receiving theirs yesterday. I stood on the front balcony and by chance saw CTT coming down the street. I ran down to him and he had our cards. He just needed to see my ID to hand them over.

I now know how he gets in our building with a broken intercom.  I watched him for 15 minutes. He tailgates. He rings the unit and waits at each building for roughly 2-3 minutes so odds are when he moves to the next building someone will come out of the prior one and he backtracks.

Our cards were postmarked today from Lisbon and delivered today. 

My SEF appt was Aug 29 and Shannon on Aug 30.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@sonia)

@jonesdn2020

If you receive mail with regularity it’s useful to befriend the postman, if you chat a bit with him whenever he sees you chances are he will remember you and you may benefit from that, they may wait for you to get downstairs to recive the mail instead of leaving a notice for you to collect it from the post office.

Also if you know the range of time when he usually passes on your street when you are waiting deliveries that also helps, they tend to be consistent timewise.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@sonia 

Great advice! He was so helpful. I explained our building intercom was being upgraded and not working and he told me "That's Portugal". I showed him the hole in the wall where it was going to be installed and he pointed to the old unit. I told him they disconnected it 6 months ago and he told me "That's Portugal". 

We had a lovely interaction, and we will always shout "Bom dia" at him from our front balcony while drinking our coffee.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events

Club Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Access to our Migration Tuesdays Dream Team weekly webinar
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Club Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Club Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our partners