Work for a US company remotely: D7? – Visas, Residency & Citizenship – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Work for a US company remotely: D7?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jamesdmeacham3)

I've heard conflicting advice about this topic so I thought I'd seek some guidance here (hi everyone!). 

Context: My wife and I want to move to Portugal soon (i.e., before the 2022 elections) with the goal of permanent residency/citizenship (after 5-6 years, obviously). I have a professional job that will allow me to work from anywhere (management has explicitly said I could move to Portugal [or anywhere, really, as long as I'm willing to work PST hours]). Although we are an international company (though a smallish one), we currently do no business in Portugal and it's not on the roadmap to do so. We do have a regional office in Amsterdam. My wife plans to start her own consulting service from Lisbon, where we plan to live.

So I've got two questions: 

• Is it possible to use remote work (W2) as a basis for the D-7?
  • Would it help if I was officially based out of the AMS office, since it and PT are both in the EU?

We've visited Portugal many times, are learning Portuguese (however slowly/badly), and plan to retire there in about 10 years time when that part of life comes around. We just can't imagine that buying a house to get passive income would be preferable to a stable job that allows remote work that pays several times that. Seems like the D-7 was definitely titled at least ("passive income") in a pre-pandemic world. We are desperate to get there...we've even planned to take a transatlantic cruise ship that allows dogs when we make the final, hopefully next summer.

Any information or resources anyone could point to that would disambiguate the conflicting word-of-mouth opinions I've heard would be sincerely and warmly appreciated.

James

11 Replies

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)
Eminent Member

Hi,

we are in a similar'ish situation as in possibility of working remote and retiring in about 10 years or so.  Too bad you got no answers here.  Have you checked with the Ei! service?  I am thinking using them when we get closer to be able to enjoy Portugal hopefully this fall!

Zoom
(@zoom)

I'm pretty sure the D7 allows "regular income" as well as passive income, so your US salary will qualify, as the amounts are very low. You just may have to provide tax records documenting the income. I have heard some freelancers have been asked to provide "contracts" to prove their income will continue. The rules were set long before the advent of remote work etc, but Portugal definitely seems to encourage digital nomads to move there.

Also, they have an entrepreneur visa (D2) that has fairly low requirements - since your wife is planning to start her own business in Lisbon, that may be an option too. 

It might be worth an initial (paid) consult with Ei to settle these issues, even if you don't end up using them for the actual application process.

Community Member
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member

Based on conversations I've had with Gilda at Ei!, you can work with the D7 Visa, no problems.

I plan to work when we finally are in a position to move here permanently.

8 Replies
Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@hank_2021 Love that answer!!

Community Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jeanmori7 You got this, brother. No problem. Now, if this were Spain, they wouldn't let you work at all, last I checked. Even if it were for a foreign company which would see you bringing in money out of country to spend in the Spanish economy.

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@hank_2021 Yeah I just don't understand how governments are thinking and Spain is probably not the only one.  I went through the whole (as much as I can tell anyway) D7 Visa process and it looks somewhat straightforward on paper 🙂 just have to decide if I will use EI! or not.  they seem to provide a wide range of services on top of the D7.

Community Member
(@jamesdmeacham3)

@jeanmori7 Thanks to everyone for the input. I'm going to engage E! to help me work through the process, but I'm glad to hear that my work income can count toward the D7.

Community Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jeanmori7 I'm a big fan of Ei! because they are able to take one more thing of our plates. We have a lot to deal with when moving to another country and trying to integrate into a new culture, so it's nice that we can have someone in our corner who can make that transition easier. They know what they are doing and can make our move a lot easier.

It's true you do pay for their services, but the peace of mind seems worth it to me.

On top of that, Gilda is a quality human being and worthy of trust. She knows the law and the system far better than we could ever.

Konni and I trust her. She's great and helps to lower the stress level.

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@hank_2021 Gilda is now on my list 🙂

Community Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jeanmori7 There's a reason she is beloved in this community. I highly encourage you to reach out to her!

Zoom
(@zoom)

@jeanmori7 After our initial consultation we got a break down of services and costs from Christina at Ei - they seem pretty flexible in terms of the help they provide.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online