The unexpected delights of Óbidos – Silver Coast and Surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

The unexpected delights of Óbidos

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@chrisrobo)

We went to Óbidos for the same reason that I guess many other tourists go there, to see a spectacular castle and a walled village that makes you feel like you’ve stepped back in time. But it was for two completely different reasons that our day there was so special…

When we first arrived, the weather was overcast and I was feeling a little tired after all the driving we’d done recently, which including a 2200 km journey from Germany. I recalled how my kids used to moan at us when we first moved to Germany, saying things like oh no, not another pretty little village, or must we go to yet another castle! Now I was the one doing the moaning, as I was simply not in the mood for more sightseeing. But soon after arriving, we stumbled across a lovely little cafe called Avocado Coffee & Healthy Food that filled me with excitement. As we’ve struggled to find vegan-friendly options since arriving here, this was an unexpected surprise that lifted our spirits! The food was absolutely delicious and the atmosphere friendly and relaxing. It’s amazing how a good cafe can make you feel so much better!  

Topic Tags
5 Replies
Community Member
(@aspidistra)
Reputable Member

Thanks Chris, v interesting! Being a vegetarian, never mind vegan, is um, challenging in Portugal so when you come across a good place to eat you really relish it!

I haven’t been to Obidos yet, it is on my list and always good to get a personal impression of a place. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@chrisrobo)

@aspidistra I agree with you. We were in Lisbon yesterday and quickly found a great vegan restaurant where we had an amazing Cesar salad followed by a scrumptious chocolate pudding. It reminded us of how much we have struggled and it made us wonder whether we could afford to live in Lisbon!

Many thanks for your reply!

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@chrisrobo May I ask where do you live now in Lisbon or you just visiting PT?

We in a process of looking in to all the info to help to make decision on the location since we are vegan/ plant based as well.

Thanks, Mila

Premium Member
(@chrisrobo)

@dance

Hi Mila, we are only visiting Portugal at the moment and don’t live here yet. We have found excellent vegan or vegan-friendly restaurants in Lisbon and Lagos, as well as the occasional surprise restaurant in some of the smaller towns and villages. Some of the supermarkets offer a good selection of vegan products, and of course you can always get plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables from the markets. It’s been a bit of a struggle for us, especially in some of the coastal fishing towns and villages, but I’ve seen it get much better for vegans in England and Germany over recent years, and I am hopeful the same is happening in Portugal too.

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@chrisrobo Thank you for your reply. I hope it would get more publicity and get easy in the near future to find vegan food. Enjoy PT!

Mila.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online