Weather Votes on the Silver Coast?? – Silver Coast and Surrounds – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Weather Votes on the Silver Coast??

10 Posts
5 Users
23 Likes
Premium Club Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)

Hi. My wife and I are on our Portugal scouting trip now and are on the Silver Coast. We've heard lots of comments about micro climates (sea mist/ fog/ wind etc.) so here is a chance to vote for why your place on the Silver Coast is amazing. In a short phrase or two vote with your words: Why is your area of the Silver Coast best weatherwise??? Gene (and Sharon)

Topic Tags
9 Replies
Community Member
(@aspidistra)

They're being very quiet, those Silver Coasters. I reckon it's pouring up there so they don’t want to answer. 🤣 

2 Replies
Premium Club Member
(@emergentt)

@aspidistra     YES!! HILARIOUS!   Yes it has been raining off and on which is really VERY strange for me...  Odd to have such an opinionated group go quiet...   must be really constraining for them... 🙂  or it's far down on the Forum page...

Community Member
(@nazaremilan)

@aspidistra LOL - Nazare is lovely, plenty of sunshine and early morning clouds & late afternoon/eve clouds.  Generally, very temparate upper 60's f to mid 70's.  LOVE LOVE LOVE Nazare 🙂  Cheers, Milan

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

Hi Gene & Sharon,

Bumping this thread up to see if any new members can comment.

The weather seems to be impacted here as it has throughout the World. Our initial research on Portugal weather and where to live is all but thrown out the window.

Whether you attribute it to climate change or natural weather pattern shifts it is hard to definitely pinpoint the existing climate in a location compared to the Almanacs averages.

We were in Nazare last month and one day was gorgeous blue sky and warm. The next day was overcast with marine layer and mist for the whole day. It made us home sick for Huntington Beach but that would not normally occur in the peak of summer back home. 

PS: We hate the wind with a passion but love a good breeze. 

Kind Regards,

Trevor & Shannon

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

Thought I would loop in a fellow (LA) South Bay resident @nazaremilan for input on Nazare.

We spent three years in the South Bay. We finally moved to Huntington Beach due to the microclimate. We had the Palos Verdes Peninsula north of us and Catalina Island offshore. Made for ideal weather year-round.

4 Replies
Community Member
(@nazaremilan)

@jonesdn2020 Thanks Trevor!  Yeah the weather in Nazare as tracked by wifey Nesit over the last year+ prior to our move here to Nazare was withing 1 dgree of what we had in South Redondo Beach (the Redondo Riviera) area which is just at the base of the Palos Verdes Peninsula.  Generally, the weather is exactly what we've been used to in the South Bay of SoCal.   Main difference is that instead of an onshore flow of clouds & fog from the Pacific, here in Nazare the flow seems to come from a more South-Easterly flow onshore from the Atlantic.  50/50 split on cloudy/partly sunny mornings and evenings with some clear sky days for magnificsent sunsets over the Atlantic.  That's only based on the last 4+ weeks that we've been here from mid-July through mid-August now. Temps in the low to mid 20's daytime and 16-17 at night.

Cheers, Milan

p.s. water temp from 17.5C to now ~20.0C.  It's 6:30pm now and the cloud cover is roling in.   FYI

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@nazaremilan 

How are you finding the water temps?

I was in the water at Carcavelos Beach at the end of January this year. Can't remember exactly what the temp was but when I looked it up and compared it to Huntington Beach, they were the same. The outside temp was probably 21.

We spent Easter week down at Praia da Luz and the water was perfect.

We went swimming at Matosinhos Beach last month and it was nice.

Now I would take a dip in Huntington almost year-round depending on the outside temperature.

It is funny to me that people think the Atlantic is cold in Portugal!

Community Member
(@nazaremilan)

@jonesdn2020 A little colder - but just a smidgen.  Right now in Redondo it's about 70f ~ 21c whereas in nazare right now it's 20.4 c in Nazare.  The lack of waves makes a difference for me - at least at Nazare.  I love body surfing and that makes the water WARMER as I get into it with the waves.  Here, it's just mostly swimming and the water at Nazare get's deep fast.  So, I also think at beaches that have more of a gradual depth increase rather than a sudden BOOM to deeper water also makes a difference in temp perception.  Generally for my taste, if the water is north of 66-67f with waves - I'm in.  If no waves and just swimming and diving down or floating - then I like it a degree or more warmer.  Last month, it felt cold when I jumped in and my face felt like it was getting numb - that was more like 64-65 f which is a bit chilly for my taste.  Cheer, Milan

VIP Member
(@antonio_f)

@nazaremilan The beaches in Costa de Caparica, Almada (south of Lisbon) have a VERY gradual depth increase, and are used by many surfers and bodyboarders.

You can check the beaches live (not all, of course) here: https://beachcam.meo.pt/en/livecams/

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events

Club Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Access to our Migration Tuesdays Dream Team weekly webinar
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Club Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Club Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our partners