Borehole Costs – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

UKTV Banner

Borehole Costs  

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
(@graham-o)
Eminent Member

Hello,
We are finally in a position to start serious planning for a relocation to Central Portugal. We are very interested in one house which would be very nice for us and has enough land for me to start growing fruit and veg again. I'm not looking at vast areas, but probably 200 sq.m. or so of kitchen garden, plus fruit trees. The only drawback is that the house does not have a borehole or source of water other than the tap. Does anyone know the cost of a borehole please? Obviously it will depend on the depth needed, and presumably the nature of the soil/subsoil/rock etc, but a general idea would be appreciated; is it 500, 5000 or 15000 Euros. The location is north of Vila Nova de Poiares.
Alternatively, if a borehole isn't feasible, how much is water from the tap please?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Graham

8 Replies

VIP Member
(@duke748)
Eminent Member

look at these and see if any are near to you, we will be having a hole done in march but in algarve so i dont know the costs
https://www.olx.pt/servicos/q-furos-de- ... ption%5D=1

VIP Member
(@mrbife)
Honorable Member

You should budget €6000 to €10,000 for a borehole - dependent on depth and proximity to electricity. A local company will quote nearer the time.

Mains water where we are costs €1 per m3 for the actual water then all the other fixed costs bundled on top of that.

If you have the space, take a look at building a cisterna or storage pool for rainwater. Rainfall is around 1m3 per 1m2 - most of it during the winter.

Fruit is very cheap in the supermarket or at local markets 😉

VIP Member
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member

VIP Member
(@graham-o)
Eminent Member

Thank you everyone for all the information. The borehole is around what I was expecting, but more than I was hoping! It looks like a cisterna is the way to go and certainly the cheapest option.
Fruit and veg is pretty cheap, but having lived in a cold part of North Wales for 30 years, I just want to grow the sort of things we want to eat, not to grow the things the climate will allow.

Page 1 / 2

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online