Citrus problem – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Ei! Migration Banner

Citrus problem  

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
(@delicious)

I have a number of citrus trees planted over 5 years ago , some bloom and have fruit but some have thorns and no flowers , i have been told these will never bloom so no fruit..is this correct ? (before i dig them up)

6 Replies
VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

If the question is whether the presence of thorns on citrus trees means the trees won't fruit, then no it's not correct. Most citrus trees have thorns unless they're from specially-bred thornless varieties.

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

The most thorny are the lemons, particularly those hardy varieties which are often used as root stock.
If you have a plant that has both thorny and non thorny stems then they have been grafted. Prune away the thorny ones as these will be from the root stock and, as you have been told, will never fruit. Also, the leaves from the root stock are usually of a different form to any graft that has been inserted.

Alan

VIP Member
(@chriswendy)
Eminent Member

When we bought our house some 8 years ago we had a young citrus tree which was covered in very large thorns and no fruit. I was told buy the old guy we bought the house from to heavily prune it as it was a 'wild' tree. I now bears some of the juiciest oranges I have ever come across................

chris
:D :D :D

VIP Member
(@the-arborist)
Honorable Member

oh :roll: lordy ....not this debate again :-/

citrus fruit ` Naturally ` have thorns, they have been bred over centuries to not have thorns.

some of the most productive cirus fruit trees i have seen have thorns , big thorns .

yes some trees you buy from comercial producers will have root stock that is thorny and may never produce fruit, but this is very rare. most will eventually have fruit.

steve

Page 1 / 2

Ei! Migration Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online