Growing lawns with germinated grass plugs – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Growing lawns with germinated grass plugs  

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
(@chickpea)
Eminent Member

Hi! I came across someone selling plugs of grass that are planted 20 to a m2 to obtain a good looking thatch in the garden. They are based in Loures. Does anyone know of a supplier nearer to Tomar/Ourem? Also, does anyone have any experience with using these? Amount of water/drainage/nutrition/resistance etc? I appreciate we have missed the boat, temperature-wise for the remainder of this ensuing summer, but we are putting together some ideas for our garden, which has finally been terraced. All of a sudden there appears to be a massive space to fill... Many thanks :D

6 Replies
VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Is it "ordinary" lawn grass you're looking at or the broad-leaved stuff, usually called grama or Brazilian grama?

VIP Member
(@chickpea)
Eminent Member

Er, not sure as at this stage I am still gathering info. We need something that is going to be resistant to wear and tear, as well as being able to maintain it, given the dry hot summers we experience here. Also, we have some banks of earth that need stabilising and I am wondering if the spread of roots would help with that, rather like bamboo, I understand. Any recommendations, and the difference between the types you mention? Thanks!

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

I've only ever seen the grama type grass sold in trays but I didn't want to write an essay if you weren't interested in that :D

It establishes quickly and spreads well. It's touted as drought resistant but it isn't drought proof so it needs water - the easiest method is a sprinkler system if you have your own water supply and pump and can run to it. I'm fairly certain it's hard-wearing but the most wear ours gets is when I mow it.

The only drawbacks are that it tends to yellow during winter with frosts and that it will romp away through borders or anywhere else it can get a toe-hold (and it's quite hard to grub out of unwanted areas).

A feed in spring soon restores the greenness. It needs mowing about once a week in spring / summer.

VIP Member
(@ashley)
Reputable Member

I know that this is an old posts but can we possibly have move feedback. I'm hoping to sort my no lawn area to something green. I do have my own water supply so that's not too much of an issue. Also, I'm hoping I can develope a good lawn with seed but given the ant population, I'm not sure if that would be possible or I'd just be giving the ants a dinner party.

At the moment, I'm thinking St. Augustine grass as I suspect that is what's often seen here.

This is from the RHS uk.

Stenotaphrum secundatum (St Augustine grass)

This forms a coarse, springy lawn, requiring frequent scarification, aeration and top dressing to prevent it becoming too spongy
The height of cut can be maintained at 4-5cm (1½-2in)
It spreads by runners, and can become invasive at lawn edges
Best established from turf, plugs or sections of stolon, it cannot be grown from seed
It is an excellent choice for coastal gardens, as it is tolerant of sea-spray
It may become chlorotic (yellow) on alkaline soils
It is not as drought-tolerant as Bermuda grass or Zoysia
It is easily damaged by low temperatures and traffic, so is not suitable for a fine lawn, but is acceptable as a low-maintenance grass for light traffic only.

Page 1 / 2

Blevins Franks Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online