Irrigation questions – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Blevins Franks

Irrigation questions  

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Hi,

Well, we've finally bought a house and land (18000m2). House refurb. project is in the hand of the architect, and my thoughts now turn to the land. We plan to turn part of it into an orchard and fruit/veg patch, and so I'm gathering thoughts over how to go about things – it's basically a blank canvas, and I'd like to lay things out correctly from the start.

I had a smallholding and garden in the UK, so it's the PT-specific bits I want to get my head round, and any advice and experiences would be very welcome.

Irrigation is my first question.

For fruit trees and soft-fruit bushes – is it worth setting up a permanent irrigation system – and if so, what sort. Or, as I have done in the UK, would incorporating a length of 2-3-inch flexible perforated drainage pipe into and around the planting hole so that water (from a hosepipe or watering can) can be directed deeper down into the soil be OK?

For the veg patch – can you get drip-feed pipes that can be moved around to be laid along the rows once the plants are in each season. I've noticed in gardens around here that people produce trenches, which they then soak, and then plant out beans, brassicas, aliums etc into the trenches. Would this work also for root-crops grown from seed?

We have two wells (properly registered) so water availability is not a problem – but would un-filtered well water clog-up any irrigation pipes?

Clearing the ground: at the moment where I'm planning the veg patch is rough grass. What is the best way to clear this initially – just rotavate and let the sun/drought kill off the grass, or is it acceptable to weed-kill the plot first. Also, this area has some bamboo growing in it – is this easy to get rid of, or will I be plagued with bamboo continually sprouting up in the middle of the veg patch.

On the question of weed-kill – I used to be able to buy full-strength Glyphosate/Round-up from the agri-merchants in the UK, but in the year or so before we left they were tightening up on sales. What is the situation in PT? Will Agri-loja sell it?

I know that solving problems as the seasons go on is all part of the joy of gardening, but if there are major things I can put in place right from the start then hopefully I can avoid some headaches in the future.

Thanks,

Steve

6 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Ignoring the main question and bulk of that post and addressing only the availability of Roundup, apparently it can still be freely purchased in various formats although I'm not sure whether any of those equates to your "full-strength"

Herbicides, pesticides and fungicides classified for professional use can now only be purchased and applied if you've attended a training course and hold a certificate or card but there is a list of substances approved for non-professional use (see this link for the latest list : http://www.dgv.min-agricultura.pt/xeov2 ... download=y).

I've not used any weedkillers on my plot - only ever used it occasionally on paths and the cobbled lane but I've stopped even that now. There's a lot of concern about chronic glyphosate contamination and changes in the law here now prohibit its use by local authorities in public spaces.

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

Full strength Roundup is available if you have the necessary certificate. Otherwise you can get the domestic version at many DIY and gardening shops. There is pressure for it to be banned due to safety concerns.

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Thanks for the replies (by the way, X-C, the link doesn't work - might be a temporary server problem, I'll try again later).

Steve

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

If it still doesn't open, try it from this page : https://www.dgadr.gov.pt/15-formacao-pr ... maceuticos

Page 1 / 2

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online