Mysterious Holes in Lawn – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

Mysterious Holes in Lawn  

RSS

(@gerry)
Estimable Member Admin
26/05/2020 12:05 pm  

Does anyone know what might be causing these holes in my lawn? They are perfectly dry, no soil on the lawn and seem quite deep. They appear randomly as single holes. Someone suggested it is a boar digging but no other evidence of a boar such as hoof marks and not sure how a boar could dig just one hole. Appreciate any advice please 😕  

alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
27/05/2020 9:56 pm  

Looks like voles.

Moles make similar tunnels, but also leave mole hills all over the place.

Javali make a total mess when "digging" your garden.

Voles unfortunately eat pea and bean seeds, so I have to germinate thes in paper seed pots which can then be put into the soil. Moles leave seeds alone, but like eating worms etc.

You could put a hose into the hole and leave it running to flush them out.

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Estimable Member Admin
27/05/2020 10:02 pm  

@alan

Thank you Alan. I’ll try the hose suggestion and see what happens. 

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
27/05/2020 10:40 pm  

@gerry

You may be lucky. With my peas and beans I pumped large quantities of water into the holes, but never observed fleeing rodents.  I think it likel that they have learnt how to construct  air pockets and other safety systems into their tunnels.

You can buy electronic noise generators to disuade them (and moles), but my experience is that these are snake oil.

The locals say to put sticks cut from an evil smelling plant in the holes to drive them away. This seems partially effective. Unfortunatly I do not know the name of the plant, but will try to remember to post a photo as this plant grows near us.

ReplyQuote

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
      • Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online