Point of lay chickens and goats – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Ei! Migration Banner

Point of lay chickens and goats  

RSS

arlo
(@arlo)
Estimable Member VIP Member
14/11/2018 2:58 pm  

Hi,

Does anyone know a place near Lousa where I can buy 2 or 3 point of lay chickens?

If you could let me know the Portuguese phrase for "point of lay" it would be really useful too. Also, where's the best place to buy chicken wire and layers' pellets?

I'll be looking for a goat and a sheep soon too (to keep the jungle under control). If you have any info on a source that would be helpful. Prefer to have wethers to save them from an early grave - any downside to that?

Cheers

(@joe-k)
Noble Member VIP Member
14/11/2018 4:39 pm  

Arlo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know a place near Lousa where I can buy 2 or 3 point of lay
> chickens?
>
> If you could let me know the Portuguese phrase for "point of lay"
> it would be really useful too. Also, where's the best place to buy chicken
> wire and layers' pellets?
>
> I'll be looking for a goat and a sheep soon too (to keep the jungle under
> control). If you have any info on a source that would be helpful. Prefer to
> have wethers to save them from an early grave - any downside to that?
>
> Cheers

Near as damn it :- Chickens ready to lay ="Galinhas prontas para colocar

ReplyQuote
(@topmast)
Noble Member Community Member
14/11/2018 5:34 pm  

If you have an Agriloja shop near you (google and you will probably find their addresses)
you will get chickens, chicken wire and corn/layers pellets, etc.

You can often buy hens at the local markets but they are usually bantams and though
good as "mums", not so good for long term laying. Your local cafe/neighbours might know
where you can get sheep/goats. Don´t forget sheep graze (we keep geese for our orchard)
but goats (bless their little cotton socks!) will rip branches off trees, etc.
Sorry if you know all this!

ReplyQuote
 arlo
(@arlo)
14/11/2018 6:16 pm  

Thanks Joe K, that will save me a lot of embarrassing miming and squawking 🙂

ReplyQuote
 arlo
(@arlo)
14/11/2018 6:25 pm  

Good idea topmast. Is there any way to distinguish (verbally) between the bantams and what I am used to keeping in the UK (Rhode Island crosses, etc). I can do it by eye easily but I'd like to avoid a 20 km round trip to see smaller or fancy breeds.

Just looking for a few eggs a week most of the year and the ability to take down tropical rain forest to bare earth in a week.

As for the goat(s) that's fine. I haven't kept goats before and I was thinking of a running chain with a second chain on a swivel to contain him in the day. Mainly to stop him running onto the road. It's too big and area to fence off and I've heard electric fences aren't dependable enough. Any advice or normal practice would be appreciated. I want a happy goat that doesn't get itself into trouble.

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
14/11/2018 7:06 pm  

"galinhas prontas para pôr ovos" might be a better translation.

Alan

ReplyQuote
(@topmast)
15/11/2018 8:39 am  

Arlo, not seeing your land I don´t know what to advise. Goats do have a habit of
winding themselves around trees, shrubs, etc. if on a chain and I have even known one sadly
that hung itself because it got so caught up. And if you have enough space so there are no
obstacles it would seem you don´t need goats! Catch 22!!

If you do decide on goats, males, like rams, pong! This may not worry you of course, but they
can also get aggressive. I would choose a young female or one that has finished her milk as you
probably won´t want to milk her every day - or maybe get two for company. Goats are far easier to milk than sheep or cows - and, having had a farm, I have done all three!
But how you overcome the enclosure part I am not sure. Our orchard lies outside our main garden and isn´t fenced but is far enough from the road that the geese don´t stray that far.

Sorry, don´t know the Pt. for bantams.

ReplyQuote
 arlo
(@arlo)
16/11/2018 4:00 pm  

Yes, I heard that about goats (strangling). I wanted one and a sheep to keep the brush down (goat) and the grass tidy (sheep) and act as companion animals for each other. I could get females but I was thinking of wethers as they should be docile (I believe). I'm not looking for milk and it would save a couple of lives.

The strangle-free solution for the goat was on a web page. Basically sink a couple of metal eye bolts in concrete at ground level, say 20m apart, run a chain along the ground between them and then have a tether chain (with swivel) that can run along the long chain. I have a bit under an acre but a road runs through it. Way too big to fence, way too near a road to have loose animals. Tethering is the only thing I've come up with.

ReplyQuote
(@topmast)
17/11/2018 9:54 am  

Good luck with your plans and let us know how you get on.

ReplyQuote

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
      • Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online