Point of lay chickens and goats – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Mia Esmeriz Acadamy Banner 1

Point of lay chickens and goats  

Page 1 / 2

arlo
VIP Member
(@arlo)
Estimable Member

Hi,

Does anyone know a place near Lousa where I can buy 2 or 3 point of lay chickens?

If you could let me know the Portuguese phrase for "point of lay" it would be really useful too. Also, where's the best place to buy chicken wire and layers' pellets?

I'll be looking for a goat and a sheep soon too (to keep the jungle under control). If you have any info on a source that would be helpful. Prefer to have wethers to save them from an early grave - any downside to that?

Cheers

8 Replies

VIP Member
(@joe-k)
Noble Member

Arlo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know a place near Lousa where I can buy 2 or 3 point of lay
> chickens?
>
> If you could let me know the Portuguese phrase for "point of lay"
> it would be really useful too. Also, where's the best place to buy chicken
> wire and layers' pellets?
>
> I'll be looking for a goat and a sheep soon too (to keep the jungle under
> control). If you have any info on a source that would be helpful. Prefer to
> have wethers to save them from an early grave - any downside to that?
>
> Cheers

Near as damn it :- Chickens ready to lay ="Galinhas prontas para colocar

Community Member
(@topmast)
Noble Member

If you have an Agriloja shop near you (google and you will probably find their addresses)
you will get chickens, chicken wire and corn/layers pellets, etc.

You can often buy hens at the local markets but they are usually bantams and though
good as "mums", not so good for long term laying. Your local cafe/neighbours might know
where you can get sheep/goats. Don´t forget sheep graze (we keep geese for our orchard)
but goats (bless their little cotton socks!) will rip branches off trees, etc.
Sorry if you know all this!

arlo
VIP Member
(@arlo)
Estimable Member

Thanks Joe K, that will save me a lot of embarrassing miming and squawking 🙂

arlo
VIP Member
(@arlo)
Estimable Member

Good idea topmast. Is there any way to distinguish (verbally) between the bantams and what I am used to keeping in the UK (Rhode Island crosses, etc). I can do it by eye easily but I'd like to avoid a 20 km round trip to see smaller or fancy breeds.

Just looking for a few eggs a week most of the year and the ability to take down tropical rain forest to bare earth in a week.

As for the goat(s) that's fine. I haven't kept goats before and I was thinking of a running chain with a second chain on a swivel to contain him in the day. Mainly to stop him running onto the road. It's too big and area to fence off and I've heard electric fences aren't dependable enough. Any advice or normal practice would be appreciated. I want a happy goat that doesn't get itself into trouble.

Page 1 / 2

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online