Tap roots – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Ei! Migration Banner

Tap roots  

VIP Member
(@madeira)
Honorable Member

Does anyone know what the proportion of tap root should generally be to tree size?

If I have a 1.6m macadamia/avocado/papaya/etc tree, how long should the tap root be approx?

4 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Is tap root depth not dictated by the ground the plant is growing on, in that if there is only 500mm of soil above solid rock the roots cannot penetrate the rock?
Don't know if this helps;
ftp://ftp.aphis.usda.gov/foia/FOLDER_10 ... 201996.pdf

VIP Member
(@madeira)
Honorable Member

Yes, O.B., of course you are correct. That is why I would not want to plant a trees with a deep tap root in shallow soil - it would never thrive.

My more immediate concern is with ordering a 1.6 m tree and whether the tap root is likely to be pot bound for a tree of that size.

Very interesting article you referenced. thank you

VIP Member
(@nogard)
Estimable Member

In the early years of tree growth the tap root will be as long or longer than the tree. So i would say; yes it will be pot bound! When one grows trees from seed, as i do,one is very careful to allow enough room; depth, for the tap root. It must not become 'bent' let along pot bound! If it is the tree will 'never' reach its' full potential.

VIP Member
(@madeira)
Honorable Member

Thanks Nogard. Very helpful!

Blevins Franks Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online