Tree and shrub supplier near Lousa – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

UKTV Banner

Tree and shrub supplier near Lousa  

Page 1 / 2

arlo
VIP Member
(@arlo)
Estimable Member

Can anyone recommend a supplier of shrubs and fruit trees near Lousa.

I'm looking for cherry, apple, hazel, black currant, red currant and blackthorn (sloe) initially.

Also can anyone recommend a fast growing, coppicable tree/shrub for fencing. Anything that can produce 3-5cm, straight, rot resistant poles around a metre or two long (pygmy goat fencing). Could even go for a living fence if it has the right growth behaviour.

I'd be really grateful if you have any info on prices to expect, time of year to buy (eg, if they don't have them now when should I expect them), time to plant and so on.

Anything unusual you'd recommend?

9 Replies

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi Arlo

If you look at the picture all the Black bits are trees and plants under cover, you will find as much not under cover the place is huge.

The yellow pin is the entrance and the office is down on the left about 100m. if you go past about 2k on the left hand side of the road you will find lots of bigger trees. just drive down the road and it's under the bridge don't worry you will see it.

There are or where on the times i have been there who speak English. It would help if you use Google Tradatur and write down what you want also try and get the Latin names this will help.

below are the Longtitude and latitude for a Satnav.

40 09 06 98N
8 15 20 09W

If you need any help just ask.

Peter

arlo
VIP Member
(@arlo)
Estimable Member

Thanks for that Peter.

Have you bought anything from them? Are their prices good in comparison to other places?

Have you seen any of those species there? I've been to some places and thought they don't sell what I'm looking for but it turns out it was just the wrong time of year. I will ask of course. Just worth knowing some things in advance.

Thanks for the detailed map.

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi Arlo

I have had Orange, Lemon and Lime trees from them and the prices and selection was great. the places covers many Kilometers it is huge so you will probably find what you want. This place supplies most or Portugal it is truly huge.

I don't know if they have a website with a stock list on, sorry

Peter

VIP Member
(@victoria1st)
Noble Member

Hi Arlo

Down here in Algarve the Myoporum is used for hedging. It is very fast growing and evergreen. You can let it grow to your chosen height the keep it trimmed once a year. I bought just one to use as a shade tree some maybe 15 years ago and it is now 4-5 meters tall and as wide. Very cheap ... back then I paid 79c for one 50cm tall. Think they are about 2.45 - 3.95 for larger ones now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoporum

Page 1 / 2

Ei! Migration Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online