What to plant and when? – Self-Sufficiency Organic Gardening – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Live and Invest Portugal

What to plant and when?  

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
(@peterwd69)
Eminent Member

Evening all,
My partner, Helen, and I are moving to Portugal as from 1st May and we will be wanting to grow as much of our food as possible. I have been growing vegetables and herbs here in Jersey for a few years but realise that the books and advice I have are for a totally different climate.

I was wondering if people have a list of what vegetables to plant, and when?

We will be living somewhere in the Coimbra area, hopefully.

Many thanks
Peter & Helen

13 Replies
 alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

I have 3 rules

Copy the neighbours

Buy what everyone buys at the weekly plant market in your town.

Coimbra area is about 2 months in front of the UK in spring.

VIP Member
(@peterwd69)
Eminent Member

Hi Alan,
Good advice, thank you, just hope we have some neighbours who grow stuff. I'll post updates about how things come along.
Cheers

VIP Member
(@margaret-and-dave)
Reputable Member

I live further north than Coimbra but, from my experience here, I would certainly plant runner beans. Bring the seeds with you though since beans here are slightly different. I have planted a number of things but the beans have been a major success.

VIP Member
(@dave-sarah)
Estimable Member

Hi

Don't know if it helps, but we found decent runner bean seeds in Lidl's (same as the UK ones) last year and we have been eating them ever since. Much to my husband's delight!!!! As you cannot buy parsnips and they grow so well in this area, they are worth a go and if you don't like them, give them to friends and neighbours, you will be very popular.

Cheers

Sarah

Page 1 / 3

Blevins Franks Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online