A word of warning to the American members. – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Wow Wines Banner

A word of warning to the American members.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

I am not American so I have never bothered reading the forum article Americans driving in Portugal until today. It contains a number of errors, two such errors are;

Some of the road signs depicted have misleading titles, one example being the round blue sign with 30 in white numerals on it is titled "speed limit". If you see that sign and reduce your speed to ensure you are travelling at less than 30 you will be fined. What that sign depicts is the MINIMUM speed you must travel at. (A square blue sign with white numerals is an ADVISORY speed limit and is usually found on the approach to bends.)
An actual speed limit sign is round with 30 (or another number) in black numerals on a white background with a red border.

More concerning is this sentence;
There are a lot of handicapped spots and they are on an honor system. If you are old, handicapped,  pregnant or have a young family, you can park there.
Disabled parking bays have never been on an honour system. Parking in one without the appropriate disabled person's permit is classed as a SERIOUS offence. It carries a fine of €60 to €300 and 2 points removed from your driver record (you start with 12).
This offence is committed even if the parking bay is on private property (e.g. a supermarket car park).

5 Replies

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)
Trusted Member

@old-bloke Thanks for the heads-up.  I am hoping to move to a City in which I'll be able to rely upon the Transit System.....

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

Re Disabled Bays. We have been caught out. A few years ago we parked in one. Displayed my mother-in-law's Disabled Badge. We were fined and had to pay the tow truck fee. (We had literally watched our car being lifted onto a truck.) To cut a very long story short we were advised by the GNR officer that it is the driver who must have the Disabled Badge not a passenger. Can somebody verify that?

Also, at the time we were members of the EU and the Disabled Badge showed that. Are there new requirements?

3 Replies
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member
Posted by: @cabanastavira

Re Disabled Bays. We have been caught out. A few years ago we parked in one. Displayed my mother-in-law's Disabled Badge. We were fined and had to pay the tow truck fee. (We had literally watched our car being lifted onto a truck.) To cut a very long story short we were advised by the GNR officer that it is the driver who must have the Disabled Badge not a passenger. Can somebody verify that?

Not correct, I'd say, no (assuming your mother-in-law was with you at the time) :

The card is not associated to a vehicle. Therefore, it may be used on any vehicle which transports the individual to whom it was assigned. Do not forget to place the card visibly near the windshield glass.

PARKING CARD FOR DISABLED INDIVIDUALS

That's for a PT card but the law makes clear that there is mutual recognition of cards across the EU.

Adding to what has already been said on sanctions, in addition to the fine and points deduction, there's an accompanying ban of between 1 month and 1 year.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

@x-camone

Thanks - yes, my mum-in-law was with us (unfortunately not now) in a wheelchair riddled with MS.

The GNR man told us that Pt iterprets the Blue Badge scheme differently to UK. Anyway, the time and stress passed many years ago. Fortunately our wonderful Pt neighbour lent us the money to pay the fines... so we could catch our plane home. And yes we got receipts from GNR. Prob the worst experience in 30 years of being in Pt. Hey ho.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@cabanastavira

Previously (from the 1981 law) the badge had to be in the driver's name. Disabled persons who were non drivers could name a driver(s) to be the badge holder but the car had to be owned by the DP.

I'm not sure when that law was revoked but I suspect it may have been sometime around 2003 when the EU introduced EU wide recognition of blue badges issued by member states.

Why the GNR officer felt it appropriate to tow the car stranding your MIL as well as issuing a fine (if one was due under the law in force at the time) is beyond me.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online