All About Motoring in Portugal – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

All About Motoring in Portugal

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Here is a copy of our presentation from the webinar on Thursday 12 August.

Feel free to contact me if you need any advice on buying a car in Portugal.

18 Replies

Premium Member
(@healthy_move_portugal)
Eminent Member

how many vehicles may i import taxfree when moving to Portugal.
I have a car and 3 motorcycles (of which one is 100% electric and will not be taxed as far as i know)

cheers
Matthias

5 Replies
Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@healthy_move_portugal

Where are you coming from Matthias?

Premium Member
(@healthy_move_portugal)

Eminent Member

@gerry the Netherlands hopefully soon but surely first half of 2022 in worst case

Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

@healthy_move_portugal 

OK that should not be too onerous as within the EU. The actual costs to matriculate are dependent on the specific vehicle types and cost. We don't have access to this information but worth joining ACP and they will be able to tell you specifically and manage the process if required. Membership will cost about 74 Euros after the Premium discount. To join and get the discount, send us an email to admin@expatsportugal.com

Premium Member
(@healthy_move_portugal)

Eminent Member

@gerry will do that as soon as i know when my move will take place 😛 (the joining ACP that is...as i turned premium member today :P).

I am member of the german automobile club (ADAC). Might be a good idea to talk to them too...maybe there is some help there as well...

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @healthy_move_portugal

how many vehicles may i import taxfree when moving to Portugal.
I have a car and 3 motorcycles (of which one is 100% electric and will not be taxed as far as i know)

cheers
Matthias

Each adult new resident can import one vehicle ISV free (terms and conditions apply). The ISV for motorbikes isn't a lot so I would suggest you use the free option on the car.

Exclusively electric vehicles are indeed exempt ISV.

Here is a link to a simulator where you can work out what the ISV would be for your motorcycles.
ISV simulator - motorcycles

Premium Member
(@iriso)

Thank you Gerry for the PDFs is the full webinar going to be posted …? I still cannot find it .

2 Replies
Admin
(@gerry)

Honorable Member

Hello @iriso 

Copying @carlm as I can't find it either...........

Admin
(@carlm)

Reputable Member

Premium Member
(@iriso)

We have just purchased a LHD vehicle in UK which we plan to drive over in and I’m looking for any helpful info re how to import the vehicle tax free. It is a petrol car. If we keep it registered in the UK and drive it there and back until it’s 6mths old would this be sufficient for us to avoid the import duty?

3 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@iriso 

Short answer, no.

Long answer, here.

Premium Member
(@iriso)

@old-bloke thank you ,however I’m non the wiser . The link goes to the Pt site and after clicking for the English translation It didn’t seem to relate to anything about vehicle imports

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@iriso 

The laws of Portugal are written in Portuguese, there are no binding translations of them, some laws are translated but the translated version carries no legal authority. You will need to translate it or, if you're happy with the general gist of what is written, use google/bing/deepl translate programs.

If you're determined to benefit from the ISV free import available to new residents you would need to delay moving to Portugal and becoming resident there as part of the ISV exemption process is not only owning the vehicle for 6 months in the originating country, but also providing documentation to prove daily life in that country during that same period (e.g. council tax/gas/electric/water/phone bills in your name).

Premium Member
(@iriso)

Thanks for that... omg this is sounding more and more ominous for us... We have been here since Nov last year but only have our mobile phone charges which will show up on our bank statements as we are staying with our daughter so all bills are in her name. I shall google the ISV terms as we have just bought the vehicle and would not have had it for 6mths yet as we hope to get to PT as soon as our passports are returned regardless of whether we get the visa or not.

My question is , when the 6mth mark is reached, even if we had been driving the car in PT it will still have been registered in the UK but when we have owned it for 6mths , if we drive it back here and then bring it it as part of our belongings which it now is, would we be exempt from paying the tax? or would we need to have been keeping the car in the uk for the whole 6mths prior?

Thank you for any further insights.

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@iriso 

My 2 cents: I looked into importing tax free too, somehow I got the feeling that they are making it too difficult to import tax free, too many difficult to find papers, etc. As they are trying to stop people not paying the ISV.
So instead I sold my UK car, and bought an almost new great one from Germany, the import was straight-forward, and only paid 1013 euros ISV. I write about it elsewhere on this forum with advice.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@iriso 

I refer you to my original 'short answer' - No.
I will summarise.

1) A non resident of PT (tourist) can bring their non PT registered car and use it for up to 6 months.
2) It is illegal for a resident of PT to drive a foreign registered car unless they have issued a permit to do so by PT customs as part of the car import process. 
3) You as third country citizens can only be in the Schengen area for 90 days which effectively negates 1 above.
4) You said you want PT residency so will need to apply for a 120 day residency visa, the authorities are now aware of your intention to become resident. Once you arrive will need to apply to SEF for a resident's permit within those 120 days (read point 2 above again).
5) A resident of PT can import a car but will have to pay the ISV. A new resident has 12 months from becoming resident to claim the ISV exemption but once you become resident you must start the car import process (submit a DAV) within 20 days.

The time limits imposed by 2, 3, 4 & 5 are why what you want to do can't be done. Your options are either delay your move to Portugal until you've owned the car for 6 months in the UK, or sell it before you move and buy a car out here after you arrive (or buy an electric car as ITexpert7 has done).

Premium Member
(@iriso)

@old-bloke OMG 😱 thank you so much for this breakdown. I think we are stuffed 🤯 we just got our PT visas and planning to drive down next week. I think we just need to see what it’s gonna cost to import . Damn I wish we had this info and had thought of this sooner. I really appreciate the way you’ve broken this down and made clear for us . Many thanks 🙏🏾

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@iriso 
Here's the import tax calculator:
https://impostosobreveiculos.info/isv/simulador-isv/

Just put the car's engine cc and CO2 from the V5, tick the fuel (gasoleo=diesel) and you will see the fee table per age.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online