(another) driving license exchange (EU citizen) – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

(another) driving license exchange (EU citizen)

9 Posts
4 Users
10 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@healthy_move_portugal)

Hello expats 🙂

I just got a reminder from the Dutch authorities (RDW) that my driving license will expire on 22-12-22.
Now i could go back to the Netherlands and extend it there, but was wondering what the process would be to exchange my Dutch license for a Portuguese one and if that would be accomplished in time as i need to be able to drive my vehicles.

If this has already been anwsered here and i just did not find the thread please let me know and add the link to that thread here.

Personal messages are also welcome in case you do not want to post here 🙂

obrigado and cheers

Matty

8 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Your post doesn't state where you are resident.

If you're still a NL resident you can't exchange your licence for a PT one.

If you're not a NL resident it would be illegal for you to renew your NL licence. (All EUMS follow the EU Directive - DL's can only be issued to residents)

If you're a PT resident it's easy to straight swap your NL licence for a PT once you've had a Dr certify you're fit to drive.
IMT will issue you a temporary paper driving permit (it's not a licence) to allow you to continue to drive whilst your application is processed. Unfortunately that permit is only valid in PT and does not authorise you to drive in other countries.

You can apply for the exchange online via this link.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@healthy_move_portugal)

@old-bloke thanks a lot. followed the provided link and submitted the form...although i did not have a digital medical document, nor is that mentioned on the starting page.
I assume either they deny my request (as no medical exam has been done) or ask me to get a medical exam and add it or they will exchange the license without all of my classes.
We will see what happens

Community Member
(@comfortapaul)

@Old-bloke - we still have the temporary paper driving permits after exchanging our UK drivers licences some months ago.  We are planning a trip through Spain for a short trip to the UK before Christmas.  You wrote:

"IMT will issue you a temporary paper driving permit (it's not a licence) to allow you to continue to drive whilst your application is processed. Unfortunately that permit is only valid in PT and does not authorise you to drive in other countries."

Does that mean that, if by the time of our trip, the Pt drivers licences have not materialised then we could be driving illegally through Spain and in the UK? 

Please can you point us in the right direction for more information on this matter of concern.

Many thanks in advance,

PaulLouiseLottie

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Posted by: @comfortapaul

Does that mean that, if by the time of our trip, the Pt drivers licences have not materialised then we could be driving illegally through Spain and in the UK? 

Yes, you would be driving unlicensed in Spain and France. As far as the UK is concerned it depends on at what stage IMT have processed the exchange.

Once IMT notify DVLA of the exchange your driver record will state your UK licence has been swapped for a PT licence. Until that point your UK licence is still valid so the UK offence would be failing to produce your driving licence rather than being unlicensed. The problem with that is that you will have no idea when your UK licence ceases to be valid so the legal position may change during your trip.

Posted by: @comfortapaul

Please can you point us in the right direction for more information on this matter of concern.

Words to the effect it's only valid in Portugal (in Portuguese obviously) should be printed on the temporary driving permit somewhere (they always used to be).
The reason it's only valid in PT is because under PT law it's accepted as an authority to drive (Article 121.7 of the Código da Estrada) but it doesn't comply with the UN Treaties on road traffic to be considered a driving licence in any other country.

Article 121.7
O IMT, I. P., as entidades fiscalizadoras e outras entidades com competência para o efeito podem substituir as cartas de condução por guias de substituição provisórias, válidas apenas em território nacional e para as categorias constantes do título que substituem, pelo prazo a definir por deliberação do conselho diretivo do IMT, I. P..

2 Replies
Community Member
(@comfortapaul)

@old-bloke Muito obrigado. Fingers crossed the Pt licences arrive before we travel.

Just checked the temporary driving permits, you are correct. The IMT stamp clearly states:

• válido somente em território nacional (translated to: valide only in national territory)

Thanks for you assistance.

Community Member
(@comfortapaul)

Further to the last post, we have both been contacted by IMT to ask if we want to stop the exchange process based on the new law.  This suggests that on completion of a form, our UK drivers licences will be returned to us.  We've decided to continue with the exchange process as this is part of our integration in to Portugal.

Community Member
(@nonick)

@PaulLouiseLottie  I assume you were contacted by email by IMT? How long ago did you surrender your licence? I handed over mine 4 months ago and at the end of July phoned the helpline and was told everything was processed correctly and it could be issued any day but could not give me any idea as to how long.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@comfortapaul)

@nonick hi Alex,

Yes, thd emails to each of us were from IMT.

Paul surrendered his licence at the end of May and myself in 

It is likely that IMT will now have to attend to all the 'Desistência/continuidade do processo de troca de titulo estrangeiro' requests before continuing with processing our exchanges. Hopefully your's is already in the post!

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal