Assistance with vehicle importation, driving licences, vehicle insurance, etc. etc. etc. – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

[Sticky] Assistance with vehicle importation, driving licences, vehicle insurance, etc. etc. etc.

Page 1 / 2

Admin
Topic starter
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

We are delighted to announce our association with Automóvel Clube de Portugal - ACP.

ACP provide a complete range of services for vehicle owners in Portugal. These include:

• Vehicle importation and matriculation
  • Driving licence renewal and/or exchange
  • Vehicle insurance
  • Roadside breakdown assistance and repair insurance
  • Classic car club
  • Legal advice on traffic law, traffic offences and motorist’s rights

They also have a number of other great benefits (including healthcare plans and discount schemes) all within ACP membership.

The membership fees are inexpensive and there are discounts available for the first year fees through our site. For more information, please click on this link:

12 Replies

Premium Member
(@bayard)

Hi Gerry,  I hope you will be able to give me some basic advice that will help my wife and I as regards bringing a car along with us when we move to Portugal later this year or to buy locally in Portugal.   

My wife is a EU Member, (Irish Citizen).  I'm American.  We have lived in the UK for the last three years, but before that we lived in India for 10 years.   

We would like to buy a car here in the UK, then after six months bring it to Portugal and do so without having to pay steep importation tax.  We are not sure how Brexit affects that tax free .  Do we have to buy it and live for six months in a EU country to avoid the heavy tax?  

We als owant to set up a residence in Portugal then bring in our Household goods which have been kept in storage in India as our plan for being in the UK was for one year, but stretched to three. Our concern is, will we be allowed to brining in our HHG import duty free from India. It's not our last place of residence, that's the UK.  We are not Indian nor British, will that have an effect on bringing in our goods?

Sorry to be so long winded. Perhaps I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. 

Thanks very much,

Lloyd and Vanessa

4 Replies
Admin
(@gerry)

Reputable Member

@bayard

Hello Lloyd & Vanessa.

I hesitate to give specific advice because we are not 'experts' in these fields. However regarding the car, I agree with the comments from Old Bloke. What I question is do you really want to have a RHD car in Portugal. Apart from the obvious difficulties from driving on the right, the car will have less value here when you come to sell it. The price differential on second hand cars in Portugal versus UK is not so great. For example, I just found a 2013 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost Titanium with 26,000 kms for sale for Euros 8,900. Found identical car for sale in UK with 14,000 miles for sale for GBP 7,000. So the difference is around 600-700 Euros. I have no idea what your budget is or what type of car you want but I would suggest that it could be worthwhile to buy here in Portugal, avoid the matriculation issues and taxes and the problem with driving and selling a RHD vehicle. Of course if you want to speak with the true experts, we recommend ACP.

Regarding the HHG question. I don't think you will have any problem provided you meet the standards to declare these items as HHG and that you can prove they are personal effects and the storage history in India. However I suggest you get an expert view by talking to the shipping agent you intend to use and ensuring that their partner in Portugal is fully knowledgeable on this subject. If the shipping agent in India does not have a partner in Portugal that can handle the Customs clearance, let me know and I will connect you with someone that can help.   

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Trusted Member

@bayard
Hi, the import taxes are not high if you buy the right car.
I just this week imported an almost new car from Germany, BMW with 292 hp and only paid 1013 euros import tax. I got the Portuguese plates today.
Here's the import tax calculator website, I've been experimenting with that since last year:

Community Member
(@jeanne)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 thanks for sharing the tax calculator.  What year is the BMW and how long did you own it before importing?  Thx

Premium Member
(@bayard)

@itexpert7

thanks very much 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Brexit doesn't affect the ISV free import of a car, it's open to any new resident no matter from where in the world they're coming from provided they meet the other criteria.

Artigo 58.º

Transferência de residência

1 - Estão isentos de imposto os veículos da propriedade de pessoas, maiores de 18 anos, que transfiram a sua residência de um Estado-Membro da União Europeia ou de país terceiro para território nacional, desde que estejam reunidas as condições estabelecidas nos artigos 59.º e 60.º

Community Member
(@800)

"You will also need a signed letter of your driving record from your US state’s DMV. Most states will allow you to apply for it on-line, but they will only mail it to a US address. The ones which you can download and print are not acceptable by the Portuguese authorities. Take both of these letters and your residency card with your US driver’s license to the local Portuguese IMT office. You will need to surrender your US driver’s license."

wonder is this true while exchange foreign driver license to PT's ?  , thanks.

" You will need to surrender your US driver’s license."?????

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @800

Yes.

Community Member
(@800)

"You will also need a signed letter of your driving record from your US state’s DMV. Most states will allow you to apply for it on-line, but they will only mail it to a US address. The ones which you can download and print are not acceptable by the Portuguese authorities. Take both of these letters and your residency card with your US driver’s license to the local Portuguese IMT office. You will need to surrender your US driver’s license."

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online