Buying a car to drive to Portugal - Page 2 – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Buying a car to drive to Portugal

Page 2 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@marct5)

Hi all,

Hope you're all keeping well.

Me and my partner are aiming to move from the UK to Portugal in around October, currently going through the process of preparing docs for visa etc.

We have a little car dilemma. Initially (our plan A) we wanted to bring our converted campervan but we've been told by multiple people it would be a bit of a challenge as it's modified and didn't come out of the factory as a camper. We also have a small car (a class merc) but it's not really something we'd want to take to Portugal with us (as we're planning on only having one car in Portugal, it's just too small for us to use as a main car).

Our plan B was to buy a UK registered car here, but we wouldn't have owned it for over 6 months to be tax exempt and the tax seems absolutely crazy on imports (we checked quite a few and it was 5-10 times more than the car was worth!)

Has anyone bought a car from Portugal and got it delivered to the UK then used it to drive to Portugal in? Did you have any issues with insuring it? Assuming you'd need to insure it with a Portugese insurer? This was our plan C. 

Flying isn't an option for us as we have two dogs, so we'd only consider driving to Portugal and want to see what options we have in regards to buying a vehicle.

Anyway, i've rambled a bit so in summary i'm asking if anyone has bought a car from Portugal, got it delivered to the UK, then used it to drive to Portugal in?

Thanks 🙂

6 Replies

bife
VIP Member
(@bife)
Reputable Member

Could you not hire a car one way?

I am of the opinion that Importing is going to give you a bad 1st impression of Portugal in terms of stress and red tape and may well even end up being financially non-viable, despite what you have been told by the authorities beforehand (this is normal here - don't trust information from one source). I know people who got into this situation after years of stress.

The IMT ('DVLA') website - click on the EN for English button - its been like that for years - good luck navigating it - the usual State website that seems to follow zero logic in its layout and even appears to have been specifically designed to bamboozle you, even if you speak Portuguese 🤣. I finally have my Chave Movel Digital (What a nightmare) but it doesnt work for that website - I have to neter with my NIF and old website - 'these things take time'. Your first phrase to learn in Portuguese should be, 'Não foi possível efetuar a operação. Pedimos desculpa pelo incómodo. Tente novamente mais tarde.'

Plenty of second hand cars here, very, very expensive compared to UK, but as straightforward as buying a second hand car ever is. If you have enough funds to run 3 cars in UK and only want one here then it should be feasible.

https://www.standvirtual.com/

https://www.custojusto.pt/portugal/veiculos/carros-usados

https://auto.sapo.pt/carros/pesquisa

EDIT: buying from a dealer ('Stand') here is not the complete No-No that I was bought up with as a mechanic's son

Also, if you are not going to become resident until after you arrive then why not buy a cheapo UK car and then scrap it here or flog it for parts?

As long as your insurance is valid in case you kill someone then even risking a fine is sometimes the most economical way. Although probably this is an oxymoron phrase these days?

I arrived last Century in a 1971 VW camper with only UK ins and docs and drove it for years till it died, I also bought a UK Vespa down in it, which I also drove with only UK ins and docs and no MOT around Lisbon which makes me shudder now (the driving on a moped around Lisbon bit, not the illegality bit - I even stupidly drove it with no helmet for a week or so till I realised it wasnt legal). Mind you, I was only coming down for a 3 month contract and PT was very, very different then.

But PT seems to have become Little Germany in its laws, fines and enforcement - but still very Portuguese in its bureaucratic efficiency - what an absolute nightmare - no fun, risk or sense of adventure anymore 🤣 Thank God I am old and boring now - the poor younger generation.

Page 2 / 2

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online