Calling petrolheads and/or dieselheads – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Calling petrolheads and/or dieselheads

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@fleurishi)
Noble Member

Hopefully everyone is fit, healthy, happy and not bored....

I could do with some advice. Last week my fabulous little Honda Civic died at the grand old age of 28. It was a very reliable little car till almost the very end and the condition was totally terminal so fixing not an option alas.

Where I live a car is not a luxury but essential so I have been researching second-hand cars. Because of Bloddy Brexit (UK clients) my budget is rather limited. 

There are many, many car dealerships in PT but I have no idea how to find one that will not deliberately sell me a "charuto" (my kind neighbour told me this is what they call a crap car). 

Near my village there is a dealership with top notch cars and way out of my reach. I have met the owner socially so I asked him if he had a reliable part exchange car cluttering up his space, which he would be willing to sell to me cheaply. The one taking my fancy (without having seen it yet) is a 2004 Peugeot. But it runs on diesel. My brother (in Holland) told me I should check out the diesel situation in Portugal because in Holland they are being phased out. So I googled and am not really sure what will happen over here in the future. I read that newer diesel cars will not have a problem but older ones will - banned from cities/higher taxes/wotnot.

Does anyone know exactly what the situation is relating to a 16 year old diesel car? I will ask the guy if he has a petrol car too which he perhaps forgot to pass on to me. If at all possible I would like to buy a car from this guy because he will not stitch me up and my neighbour told me he has known the guy for years and he really is trustworthy. Paulo also said that although the car would come without warranty, if something turns out to be faulty his garage would fix it or he would give me another car....

Anyone able to enlighten me?

4 Replies

Admin UserGroup
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Hello Fleurishi,

I am not 100% sure about Portugal but I know in UK that although diesels are being phased out, this only applies to new cars and not those already registered.   

Plus, consider the amount of used diesels there are in Portugal, probably the vast majority of cars here. I can't imagine the Portuguese Government will suddenly ban all existing diesels. For an older high mileage car, a diesel is probably a better bet in terms of reliability and the economy and fuel cost will be better than petrol.

A good website where you can check prices on a similar car is  www.standvirtual.com

RIP Honda Civic.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@fleurishi)
Noble Member

Thank you, Gerry - also for your condolences; I am still gutted that little car died 😥 

I don't think all diesel cars will be banned - from big cities yes by the looks of it and possibly higher road tax. I will have to investigate it a bit more although I may not find anything concrete about Portugal.  I have asked my friendly dealer about it and he said I don't have to worry about that at all, but he would say that wouldn't he? But he is going to check if he can offer me something that runs on petrol so will wait and see.

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

Already Portugal is banning older cars from Lisbon city centre. But restrictions  and/or  tolls are imposed in other European cities.

I think that it is unlikely that older diesel cars will have higher road taxes. The system is complicated, and cars first registered before  July 2007 pay a lower annual road tax (IUC) than newer cars.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@fleurishi)
Noble Member

Thank you, Alan...

The internet can cause more confusion than a car-less woman can handle, as can brothers in Holland 😊 

I am still waiting for Paulo to tell me if he has a nice little petrol car as well. This afternoon I went to a dealership not far from me, just to compare - and to be out of the house for a short while. The guy seemed genuine and wasn't pushy at all. One car really took my fancy - petrol, a lot less mileage than Paulo's Peugeot I like, and cheaper. If Paulo can't come up with a petrol car, I may dive into the unknown with this other guy. The friend who drove me does know a lot about cars and he said the car was in very good nick. Decisions.... decisions...

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€37 / €347 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€17 / €97 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online