Can an American get a EU Digital Vaccination Certificate in Portugal? – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Can an American get a EU Digital Vaccination Certificate in Portugal?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@curiousredhead)

Hello Powerful People!

Does anyone have information on how an American (non-resident) might get an EU Digital Vaccination Certificate in Portugal?  I'll be travelling in Portugal for just over a month starting October 5.

Cheers!

Gina

Topic Tags
11 Replies

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)
Estimable Member

Did you know that you might be able to get it in the US? 😀 it will be digital and legit for the EU. Here is the website for California, but any other states are offering it as well.

https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/

I know for sure that if you become a Portugal resident, then you will be able to request an EU digital certificate when applying for a Numero de Utente. We have had our vaccinations done in the US. Once we moved to Portugal and after receiving our residency cards, we applied for a Numero de Utente and showed our vaccination cards at the Agrupamento de Centris. After 3 weeks of waiting, our Numero de Utente were issued. And a day after that, we were able to download our digital certificates from SNS24 website.

6 Replies
Community Member
(@curiousredhead)

@tdn I did not know that and will be looking into it.  

Thanks!

Gina

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@curiousredhead Gina, start early, I would say. It might take awhile, as some records might be difficult for them to match/retrieve, as some health providers might have not record your data correctly, as it was in our case, so you would need to keep communicating by sending evidence and contacting providers, which takes time. Whereas, for our friends, it was a piece of cake, to receive a digital certificate, no issues. 
good luck!

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@curiousredhead BTW, the US paper certificate is accepted here in Portugal in hotels, restaurants and Lisbon airport.

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Estimable Member

@tdn Agreed, we had absolutely no issues during our recent trip.  The US Vaccination Card was accepted everywhere......

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@tdn I use that same link when we were in PT in July.  No problems using it anywhere.  Super easy.  Barely an inconvenience.

I've kept a screenshot of it on my phone back home since our county is requiring vaccinations for indoor dining and other things.

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@hank_2021 lucky you, Hank. We weren’t able to get our US digital certificates from that link, only receiving answers that our data did not match the US records. How strange. Luckily, we got our EU digital certificates very quickly here in Portugal. Anyway, either one, the EU digital certificate and the US paper vaccination card are accepted here in Europe, and not only in Portugal, but in other European countries (from our experience).
when flying, some EU countries still require a negative test presented despite of having the digital certificate. But these rules are ever changing. It is useful to always check on the latest updates by each country and each airline. perhaps this will save some money on not doing the tests, if they are not required. 
portugal, as of recently, is one of the countries in the EU which has the highest vaccination rate so far. Almost everyone here has been vaccinated. So, I hope pretty much soon lots of restrictions will be lifted for the EU residents. 

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @tdn

e weren’t able to get our US digital certificates from that link, only receiving answers that our data did not match the US records. How strange.

Ya, that's weird.  I've never known anyone personally who had an issue with it, but I did see like one person on Reddit who had a problem.  I'd guess that the person who input your name in the state database probably made a typo or something equally silly.

Regardless, the cards definitely work, as you said, and really it's not a big deal.

I'm just happy it all worked out for you in the end!

As far as vaccination rates go, I was reading an article that was saying there's nobody left to really vaccinate in Portugal.  Portuguese people really stepped up and did their civic duty for their countrymen.  Just incredible.  Things will pretty much be back to normal there soon, like in Denmark, Netherlands, Finland, ...

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Eminent Member

@hank_2021 exactly. I’ve had many friends forward me the same article saying we made the right choice. I have to agree with your comments.

As far as cards go, we had the California digital cert but also carried our cards. Only once in the last 5 weeks have been asked for it we but we have still done outdoor dining in most cases. In the Algarve now, bright and sunny in the mid 70s… hard to say no to this….  Gene

Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Eminent Member

@hank_2021 exactly. I’ve had many friends forward me the same article saying we made the right choice. I have to agree with your comments.

As far as cards go, we had the California digital cert but also carried our cards. Only once in the last 5 weeks have been asked for it we but we have still done outdoor dining in most cases. In the Algarve now, bright and sunny in the mid 70s… hard to say no to this….  Gene

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member
Posted by: @emergentt

I have to agree with your comments.

Then you must be right!  😉 🤣 

Only once in the last 5 weeks have been asked for it

Not surprising.  When we were there in July we were "carded" tons of times and it was a requirement for staying at the AirBNBs.  Was really helpful to have the CA digital cert cause I'd just send them the link to that.  Was really nice to have that little extra degree of safety and peace of mind.

They were having a mini-surge and just let Americans back in.

I don't think they're doing it all any more, like it's not a thing now.  They also aren't really requiring masks according to Michael who was on GMP this morning.  They've basically beaten Covid as much as we can at this point.  If you can't get back to normal in PT's situation, then nobody can.  A little jealous, ngl.

In the Algarve now, bright and sunny in the mid 70s… hard to say no to this….

Amen, brother!

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online