Car Info – Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Ei! Migration Banner

Car Info  

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
(@chocolate)
Eminent Member

Hi just wondered if someone can answer a couple of car related questions please. 
We know second hand cars are much more expensive in Portugal and if we make the move we’d be looking at getting a cheap and cheerful modest reliable runaround for those times when the train or bus won’t cut it. 

What we’d like to know is, is the equivalent of an MoT the same price for all cars and if so what is that cost?  Also we understand cars older than 8 years?? can only get third part cover Insurance. Is car insurance in general expensive like the cars themselves or is it comparable with the UK?

Obrigada 👍🏾

11 Replies

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member

the IPO (MOT equiv) is 35 euros

car insurance is imo quite costly compared to UK...BUT it covers the car and any driver (for the most part) so if you have younger adults it would be cheaper in Portugal than UK

for us..its not!

insurance is usually 3rd party on older cars but as ever with insurance...there is always a price

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@chocolate)

Eminent Member

@crazy-russian thank you for your reply. So the IPO is actually cheaper than the MoT cost in the UK as I think that’s around the £45 mark. 

Thanks again 

Admin
(@lincolnbaggie)
Estimable Member

I've found car insurance pretty reasonable on an older car. Yes, it is third party only, but you also get breakdown recovery included and anyone can drive the car (always have a letter giving your permission in the glove box in case the GNR stop someone else in the vehicle). I pay around €180 a year (which is a lot cheaper than it would be in the UK). As Crazy Russian states, the IPO (MoT) is around €35 and can be renewed up to 3 months before the expiry date.

Petrol on the other hand is ridiculously expensive in PT....

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@chocolate)

Eminent Member

@lincolnbaggie. Thank you. €180 a year is pretty reasonable albeit only for third party but considering that includes breakdown cover I think it’s very good. 

So unlike the UK there’s obviously no need to pay more for additional drivers seeing as anyone can drive it so that’s a good thing. 

I’d heard petrol was a downside though but someone did suggest combining with a trip to Spain as it’s cheaper there 🤣

Community Member
(@anavieira)
Eminent Member

Hello!

I have a 11 year old car and i pay 170€ of insurance/ year, third party.

For a old car its harder to have a full cover insurance but some companies make it for cars over 8, others for cars over 10 years and even for cars over 12 yeasr. Of course, it all has a price 🙂

Petrol is expensive in Portugal (mostly because of taxes) 

Diesel is about 1,470€ /L.

Petrol is about 1,300€ /L.

🙂

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Hi @anavieira

I think you have the fuel prices the wrong way around. Surely diesel is cheaper than petrol in Portugal ?

Or maybe I am going to the wrong filling station 😀 😀 😀 

3 Replies
Community Member
(@anavieira)

Eminent Member

@gerry

You are right!! 😉 

You have to give me a discount... 🤪 🤪 portuguese and english words in this case are very confusing. Gasolina e Gasóleo 🙂

Premium Member
(@chocolate)

Eminent Member

@anavieira  I wish my best Portuguese was a good as your bad English Ana. You speak it very well. No need to apologise 😁

Premium Member
(@chocolate)

Eminent Member

@gerry. Jeez so petrol is €1.47!! That is mega pricey. Makes Sainsburys petrol seem cheap as chips now 😂😂

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €250+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online