Car insurance recommendations? – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Car insurance recommendations?

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Hello, I just bought and imported an almost new BMW from Germany, paid the little 1013 euro import tax, and got my Portuguese plates.
Is it really obligatory to screw the plates on the car?? In UK and Germany they just stick them on.

Anyone can recommend any decent value car insurances?
I assume there is no insurance comparison website over here 🙁
And do I really have to place an insurance disc on the windscreen? Post here takes forever, I need the car insured ASAP.

10 Replies

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member

you will get a green 'square' from insurance company when you buy a policy...this MUST be shown in windscreen, it also shows the annual IPO date due...again it MUST be shown in windscreen

we use a broker in Caldas who is very good (and speaks english) but insurance carrier is Tranquilidade, so far no problems

(apart from not being allowed to travel so not using car and not getting IPO updated etc etc)

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

The license plates must be fixed on with the respective screws or metal fixings - garages, chain service places, etc will typically do it for free or a few euros, if you use the metal fixings.  You may not pass an IPO otherwise.  You will be expected to change them if damaged or faded in due course, which happens easily with the plastic ones.

As @crazy-russian says, you must display the insurance and the IPO dísticos (little squares - they are different squares, and the green one is now white as of this year!) and carry the rest of both the documents with you in the car, at any time on the public roads.  If you are stopped, and don't have all these, you will have problems - and Police in towns may check parked cars, too.  If you have old ones that there is a good COVID reason you couldn't renew, then that may just be OK - but IPO centres and insurance brokers have never closed, so they may not be kind.

These should be displayed properly, in the little plastic pockets (which insurance offices, IPO places and car associations, etc, can give you for free) not just taped on etc.  They need to be clearly visible to someone standing at the side of the car, not in any way obscured or hard to access.

I have used Ged at https://gedinsurance.com/ for all our insurances - he only works with Fidelidade, but comparison sites showed that to be cheapest for all my stuff, so I found him.

(Comparison sites do exist, in Portuguese of course.  You could try, though I have not used them to recommend them:

https://www.deco.proteste.pt/auto/seguro-automovel/simule-e-poupe/seguro-automovel-qual-o-mais-barato?landingpage

https://www.logo.pt/seguro-auto )

A broker should be able to email or fax a document which confirms your insurance is paid and you're waiting for the dístico - but we haven't noticed post problems since last year, in our area, at least...

Another Portugal-specific thing:  Your reflective vest must be kept in the main body of the car, within reach of the driver without her/him having to get out to get it, so for example in the glove compartment.

If I sound picky, it's because I was stopped some years back, in a rental car which was not compliant (before I knew to check this) - it was missing a dístico, had none of the full documents, and the gilet was in the boot.  I was kept for hours in the baking sun in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal, trying to explain this, and the rental company was no help afterwards either.  So best to make sure you keep everything in order!

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!
facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration?  Contact us!
reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@thomasandmatthew

Thank you so much!! (Sorry for the delay, this site didn't inform me of your fantastic reply)
I managed to screw the plates myself, I'm good with a drill and spirit level 🙂
I got the insurance sticker (after 2 weeks driving) and now awaiting the permission to pay online the IUC
Only thing missing is finding a way to register my British licence, as I cannot find a way to do it online!

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @itexpert7

Only thing missing is finding a way to register my British licence, as I cannot find a way to do it online!

You can only register licences issued by an EU member state, which obviously the UK hasn't been since 01/02/20, you will have to exchange it.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Thanks, but also we're allowed to exchange (due to Corona) until 31/12/2021 which then contradicts the obligation to register the licence within 3 months 😀

4 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@itexpert7

The extension is nothing to do with Corona and what it relates to is explained in the opening pre-amble of the implementing law, 25-B/2021.

The Corona extensions for PT licences (and temporary paper permits issued during the exchange process), citizen's cards, resident's permits etc is an entirely separate piece of legislation, 22-A/2021.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@itexpert7

I should have mentioned that there is no obligation to register a third country licence, such licences MUST be exchanged (if they are an exchangeable licence), and as I said previously UK licences are a third country licence notwithstanding the transitional provisions implemented by Decreto-Lei 25-B/2021.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@old-bloke

Sure must be exchanged, but my residency Loule Camara appointment is on 28th June! As they were closed for FOUR months and they are not in a hurry.
I thought of registering my licence in the mean time, as I'm here many months.

But luckily UK licences have been extended for 1 year, so no hurry:
https://algarvedailynews.com/news/18941-recognition-of-uk-driving-licences-in-portugal-is-extended

But it says "For those who have been resident in Portugal for longer than 60 days, and are still driving with their UK licence, they should have registered their address with IMT. "
That is the reason I'm asking for registering my licence. Any advice on that please?
Or do you think the newspaper is wrong?

That's my experience in bureaucratic countries, every source says different contradicting stuff, like for changing the financial address and being tax resident in Portugal (been told 3 different contradicting ways from official sources), and the e-moped thing (the law you sent is 250watts and 25km like in EU, but the reality utterly different, local moped shop said limit is 2000 watts and 45km and they sell loads with no plates or insurance!). Madness!

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@itexpert7

They are quoting part of what is written in Lei 25-B/2021 and then they have added the old pre Brexit rule regarding registering a licence within 60 days which no longer applies to UK licences.

All 25-B has done is stopped your licence from becoming invalid for driving after 90 days of becoming resident, and allows it to be exchanged before 31/12/21 under the same criteria as an EU licence is, instead of what would have applied to a UK licence without 25-B (a third country, International Treaty licence).

Here's the link to 25-B if you want to read exactly what it says.
https://data.dre.pt/application/conteudo/160534624

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online