Car Registration – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum

acp benefit

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

EI Banner

Car Registration

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@bdgfn)
Eminent Member

Hi all. I didn't see anything related to this question here. I am wondering about the cost of registering a car in Portugal. We currently live in Germany and plan to purchase a used car here and driving it to Portugal when I retire, which should be within the next year. I will have owned the car for more than six months, so I understand I won't be liable for import taxes. I don't know the exact make and model of the car we will buy, but we are looking for something possibly equivalent to a Toyota Corolla, not too old, maybe 5 years or so, and probably around 10,000€ total cost. I know that without exact details it is not possible to give an accurate quote on this, but I am just looking for a reasonable estimate. I have read of people paying 17,000€. I do plan to contact someone from ACP to get a more accurate idea once we know what we are going to purchase. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2 Replies

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi

So long as you have owned the car for 6 months or more you can import a car tax free.

Go to the SEARCH on this page ant type in MATRICULATION

When you get all the answers you will have all the help you need. You can even import a car in a DAY yes a day and don't let anybody say you can't because i did in a day.

It's all down to preparation and i don't speak the language.

Good luck

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@paulr)

Eminent Member

@peterfc I believe you have to keep the car for a certain time in PT before you can sell it 12 months I believe.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online