Changing address - driving licence etc – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Changing address - driving licence etc

Community Member
Topic starter
(@smiledebs)

hello, 

looking for a ‘how to...?’ 

Recently changed address in Portugal and trying to change addresses on all things required. First driving licence. 

1. I have recently exchanged my licence... how do I update the address? I tried accessing the MIT website by entering NIF number. I was told I was already registered and asked to complete a security question and enter a password. But I don’t recall ever registering or completing any security questions etc and I tried to reset the password, but I am required to answer the security question that I don’t know? Any advice how I solve this? 

2. Hubby still waiting since early Dec for driving licence exchange process to begin... been told by accountant to inform MIT, but they don’t seem willing to respond to any requests and have never replied to any approach made on their contacts page. How do we inform them of a new address? 

Anyone on here experienced changing addresses in Portugal? Where did you go and what did you do? 

Thank you 

13 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

The various contact options for IMT are here:

http://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Portugues/Contactos/Paginas/Sede.aspx

Assuming you're already living in Portugal, it's likely the easiest thing (as you have three issues here, effectively) will be to book an appointment and go into one of their offices.

Alternatively, if you feel confident, you could try the Call Centre or the Atendimento Online - you may well not be able to do this in English, however.

On the driving license exchange, I have read many conflicting bits of advice around what to do, I think because the systems have changed quite a bit over the last 2-3 years, so people are trying to advise based on previous versions of the system. If you want more from the forum on your point 2, I think you'd need to give more details.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@smiledebs)

@thomasribatejo You assume correctly that we are living in Portugal. Thank you for the information. We are going to try booking an appointment with MIT to find out about updating the address on my Portuguese driving licence and seek to inform them of my husband's change of address with his pending application to exchange his English one. 

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Hi,

I asked at our local Loja de Cidadão about changing the address for my PT driving licence, and they said it was all now linked through the Finanças site, and that if you had changed your address with them, it would automatically filter through to IMT. I haven't verified this at all, so it may not be correct.

On a related note, I need to change my address for my Residency Permit - this is still the initial 5-year one done through the Câmara. I asked at the Câmara where we now live, and they said this was now all done through SEF - which is a pity, as getting anywhere with SEF is a nightmare. I haven't followed this one through yet, but probably ought to so that SEF will have the correct address to contact me about the appointment for the new residency card.

Steve

8 Replies
Community Member
(@smiledebs)

@stevej Hello, thank you that seems to make sense with the challenges we have been faced with. To add to the information with regard to our residency certificate issued by the local Câmara at the back end of 2020.

Early in the new year, we engaged an accountant to sort out our tax registration.  We have been informed that the TAX office is refusing to recognise this certificate and will not change our address until we have the biometric data from SEF!

I am really confused. IMT accepted the residency document in order to exchange the driving licence...

I have not tried to contact SEF and inform them of the address change.

thank you for your help

(@thomasribatejo)

@smiledebs the tax office should accept the old document with the confirmation page from registering on the brexit.sef.pt site  The latter generates a reference page, which you need to print and use wherever you use the EU residency certificate, as it's quite true, those are not valid on their own since 01/01/2021 (even if some agencies may still accept them on their own).

Whether the tax office knows all this, or just some of it, is another matter!  But do tell your accountant that, and perhaps he can try again...

Community Member
(@smiledebs)

@thomasribatejo She has tried to do this and is now sending us directly to the local Tax office to see if an in person approach can break the stalemate. 

Community Member
(@smiledebs)

@thomasribatejo Hi, this is an update on the fiscal address situation... We were sent to the local tax office in person by our accountant to try to see if we could break the deadlock with update our address to Portugal. We hit a brick wall. The folks at the tax office told us it was illegal for them to change our address. They would only accept the new SEF card and dismissed the temporary document showing we were registered on the SEF website, entirely. 

Our accountant has informed us now, that there is a tax office down in the Algarve that will accept the documents we have. However, it is a 6-hour drive from where we currently live.

Do you happen to have any info of other offices that are accepting the documents we have? We are near Viseu. 

thanks

(@thomasribatejo)

@smiledebs Hmm... The trouble is, as you found there, so much of it depends on how the person behind the desk handles things...  It is clearly untrue that they cannot update your address!  The new SEF card doesn't exist yet (no-one has one), and may (may!) start to be issued later this month, but they have tens of thousands to arrange, each needing an appointment, etc... so we're talking several months more, in all likelihood.

I would not rely on any guarantees of anywhere definitely accepting things, unless the person recommending knows you'll definitely see a given person whom they know to be accepting it.  I cannot offer any such guarantee.

I would instead try the nearest available office to you (other than the one you already tried) and work from there.  If you have the old EU cert, the SEF cert (with the QR code), and the freguesia residency confirmation - and your deed of purchase, if you own a property - then I cannot see why they would not action it.  I don't believe I am missing a step here...

(@thomasribatejo)

@stevej For EU citizens, it's still done with the Câmara

However, for Brits, it's out of their hands now.  You cannot update the paper document, but have to register at brexit.sef.pt and wait to be contacted for the new biometric card.  Registration opened in December 2020, and was due to close around now - but it's been extended to this December.  Meanwhile, no-one who registered has yet been contacted - anecdotal reports suggest this will begin to happen this month (though this has been said previously).

(@thomasribatejo)

(If you moved since registering, I suggest you email brexit@sef.pt about your specific case.  Rumour has it they do reply to emails to that address!)

VIP Member
(@stevej)

Noble Member

@thomasribatejo Thanks for that. Yes, we registered for the new card back in December and, like everyone, are waiting to be contacted, which is why I want to update our address. I'll try the email you gave - having got nowhere with the telephone numbers.

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Update on address with SEF:  I sent an email to the brexit@sef.pt address, and they responded within a couple of hours. They said changes of personal details still need to be done at the Câmara - but... You can make changes to your address when you do the online request for the new permit. I checked back, and realise now that I was (uncharacteristically) prescient and gave them our new address when I did the request in December. I have also confirmed via their telephone line (Brexit SEF: +351 217 115 045) that this is sufficient.

They also indicated that if you need to you could cancel a current request for the new permit and put in a new request with change of address details. And finally, the person I spoke with confirmed that the contact from SEF to set up the appointment for the new permit will be via email, but he could not give any hint as to when that might start.

So - a big tick to the brexit.sef people - quick responses and helpful answers.

Steve

1 Reply
Community Member
(@smiledebs)

@stevej I will try emailing SEF and see what happens. I am not keen on cancelling anything at the moment. We already feel stuck in a half way house as it is!  Thank you for explaining your experience, very helpful.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online