Driver License exchange and procurring auto insurance – – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Driver License exchange and procurring auto insurance

18 Posts
5 Users
14 Likes
Premium Club Member
Topic starter
(@alleycat)

Can anyone give good experiential advice for the IMT's required type of Driver Record, that I should obtain before I move to PT?  Does a 3-year record of any accidents and moving violations suffice, or must it be a "complete abstract". 

Aside from the IMT, what will most auto insurers ask for, if it differs?

Thanks folks!

17 Replies

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

Thanks for asking. We need to consider this soon. Well not really soon but need to get our ducks in a row. We will be back in the US later this year and wondering if we should get our drivers record then and exactly what is needed from specifically Nevada. How long is the record valid for? If we get it in November of this year, then how long is it valid for exchanging our licenses in Portugal. 

I have until June of 2026 before my Nevada license is no longer valid here. We were hoping the EU online drivers license process would get rolled out sometime before those dates and would make the process a little easier.  

12 Replies
Community Member
(@kellyd)

@jonesdn2020 I got my driving record from Nevada. Unfortunately I didn't get it while I was there, I had to get it from Portugal, which meant we had to submit the requests with a notarized signature (Nevada's requirement).

That meant a trip to the Lisbon American Embassy to get our documents notarized @ approx. $50 per signature if I recall correctly. We asked the Nevada DMV to send the certified copies of our driving records to my brother-in-law in Las Vegas. He then submitted the certified driving records, along with our signed applications, to the Nevada Secretary of State asking for an apostille.

Nevada was OK with attaching the apostille to the certified driving record because it had a signature of a DMV official. The apostilled documents were returned to my brother-in-law who then sent them to us in Portugal.

We received them in October and Kathy promptly exchanged her driving license. I tried to submit my documents online but because I didn't have my resident card they told me I couldn't do the exchange. I finally got my resident card a few weeks ago and resubmitted my documents to IMT online.

My appointment with IMT to exchange my license in person is tomorrow in Viseu. I will let you know if they tell me the records are too old. I don't expect them to say that, though.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@kellyd Thank you for the information. It makes sense for us to get our drivers records when we return and submit them for apostille. Does IMT say how long the record must be for? Our recent Nevada license will almost be 3 years old. We had CA for the prior 10 and Nevada for the 10 years plus prior to that. 

How long did the apostille process take?

I have Secretary of State Apostille request form and they charge more for faster service?

Community Member
(@kellyd)

@jonesdn2020 As far as I can tell, IMT does not say how recent your apostilled documents must be. Mine are almost 6 months old and my meeting with IMT is tomorrow so I will let you know if they tell me they are too old.

Here is my timeline:

Sent request for certified driving record to Nevada DMV from Marinha Grande, via FedEx on September 21, 2022.

Request processed by DMV on September 28 and mailed to my brother-in-law in Las Vegas on September 29, 2022.

Certified driving record received by brother-in-law in Las Vegas on October 3, 2022.

Brother-in-law mailed the certified driving record to the Nevada Secretary of State on approximately October 7, 2022 asking for apostille.

Brother-in-law received apostilled documents from Secretary of State approximately October 31, 2022.

Received apostilled documents in Portugal on November 8, 2022.

And for what it is worth, our driver's licenses were only issued in Nevada in April, 2022. We wondered if we also needed to get copies of our Arizona driving records (30 years worth) for IMT, but in the end we did not need them.

Community Member
(@kellyd)

@JonesDN2020, I successfully exchanged my license today. Nothing was said about my almost 6 month old certified driving record.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@kellyd So you have the paper version that is only valid in Portugal or did they give you the actual license?

Community Member
(@kellyd)

@jonesdn2020 Paper version. Good for 180 days in Portugal only.

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@kellyd I am hoping you get the real one in a timely manner. We don't want to apply at the same time so that at least one of us has a valid license outside Portugal.

Premium Club Member
(@alleycat)

@kellyd Good to know the duration of the record seemed unimportant to them...but, my certified record is not done with a raised, embossed seal. It was don online, prints out with a blue stamp seal, but not raised....do I/we need to fret about that?  Congratulations on getting your paper one, hope your real ones comes in reasonable time...so set you free to roam.

Thanks for telling us your tale.

Community Member
(@kellyd)

@alleycat Did you go into an IMT office and they printed your temporary license without the embossed seal?

Premium Club Member
(@alleycat)

@kellyd We're still in the U.S.(TX), prepping to move with all the right documents we will need to apply for our PT DL & find an auto insurance policy. We went online within the state's agency overseeing driving license/record/auto registration, etc. and saw options for ordering various types of records, including "Certified". We ordered, paid and printed.  It has a BLUE stamp seal as evidence of certification and a signature, but not "raised".  I've been told by another (living in PT), that the raised seal is not imperative....as is the case of differing experiences I suppose. Maybe it depends on which IMT officer is reviewing one's documents.  

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

@alleycat I was wondering if that would be good enough. Our marriage license was just the original from Nevada and not apostilled for our VFS and SEF process.

Community Member
(@kellyd)

@alleycat If I was in your situation I would send the certified record to your secretary of state to get it apostilled. That said, you may be perfectly fine with the certified record you have. My IMT agent yesterday didn't look too closely at my apostilled certified driving record. She seemed to just check to see that it had the apostille certification, which was red. Blue may work for them as well. Good luck.

Premium Club Member
(@lowellmk)

Hi.... when I investigated this, I read that a certified driving record was required.  I obtained that and had it Apostilled. I did not apply for my Portuguese driver's license though.  That said, I recommend looking into ACP (which is like AAA) - member's get a discount and ACP helps with the paperwork based on my review of ACP's services.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@kellyd)

@lowellmk ACP doesn't help with the paperwork. What they do is limited to making the appointment for the medical evaluation at a local ACP office. At least that was my experience.

Premium Club Member
(@lowellmk)

@kellyd thx

ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

I am not from the US, so I have no experience of going though the driving licence exchange process with US documents.  However, I have exchanged a foreign (non-EU) licence in Portugal about a year ago. 

There was no requirement for me about a driving record, certified or otherwise. It was simply a notarized (notary in country of issuance) and legalized (Portuguese consulate) copy of the driving licence itself with a translation. It was all one document.

I have no idea why people are being asked for driving records for many years.  It seems odd to me, but maybe the treaty framework with the US is different. 

For insurance, they are interested in proof of no claims.  At least that is what Fidelity asked me for. Proof of no-claims bonus record not older than 60 days. I was never asked for anything related to my driving record. At the stage of applying for insurance, I already had a Portuguese licence. 

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Share:

Join our community for free, or join for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events
  • 300+ hours of educational content available FREE of charge via our YouTube channel

Community Plus Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • 300+ hours of educational content available FREE of charge via our YouTube channel
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Join live in our "Moving to Portugal" Migration Dream Team weekly groupinars
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Community Plus Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our experts and partners
  • Ongoing personal email support
  • 30% discount on Premium Membership renewals after first year
BEST VALUE

Copyright © 2023 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online

SG-2023-v2