Driver license - temporary? – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Driver license - temporary?

tdn
Community Member
Topic starter
(@tdn)
Estimable Member

Exchanging driver licenses - never ending question, isn’t? 😀 
Thanks to everyone here in this forum who shares their experiences! While we are waiting for a response from IMT and combing through the forum posts related to a driver license exchange, there is a mentioning of a Temporary driver license. Would anyone who have just recently went through the exchange process to please share what the temporary driving license is? Is it a kind of a document that IMT issues? Should we expect it via an email?
It is been 4 weeks since we applied online. It is still too short according to your experiences, I read. We, so far, only received an automatic response assigning the case number. I am assuming we cannot drive using such email response.

Thank you again!

Tatiana

Topic Tags
9 Replies

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

We've been doing this through Ei! so consider this second-hand info. It's the best to my knowledge. 

After Ei! applied to IMT on our behalf they sent us confirmations to carry with our US licenses. You're only allowed to drive for 90 days on a foreign license so this is proof that we applied. 

Once my application was accepted I had to pay 30 euros directly to IMT and surrender my US license and driving abstract to Ei! They sent these documents on to IMT. At that time Ei! emailed me the "temporary license" which I'm still using. It's just a PDF document that I printed. I believe Ei! received it by email along with the appointment info. Here's what the temp looks like. I blurred out some of the personal info:

1 Reply
 tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@maxgravy Thanks soooo much for explaining! Now we know what to expect. As we have decided to DIY, I guess, there will be lots of knocking on IMT doors on our side 😐

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

And I just noticed that it expires October 8 so hopefully my actual license will arrive soon. 

6 Replies
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@maxgravy 
Yes we have the same temporary paper (put the photo and signature on), expired end of July, and still driving with it!
Apparently IMT said that due to Corona they are valid till end of the year!
(I don't think it's Corona but their decision to convert all UK licences to PT , which must be an amazing extra load of work!).

As a comparison, I have converted my licence to a UK licence many years ago, and it was soooo easy, just completed a post office form, and sent my old licence, a council tax bill and a cheque and photos, 2 weeks later I got the UK licence by mail. I wish it was so easy here, we applied in February and still waiting!!

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@itexpert7 Ei! never mentioned adding a photo and signature. I should probably check with them.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@maxgravy 
Just look at the form! 😀
There's a big photo space, where you are supposed to stick the photo on.
And at the side of the photo it has space for a signature.

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@itexpert7 Yep, I'll take care of it. Do you know if I can just print a copy of my passport photo? Or do I need to get a new original?

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@maxgravy 
I just took a new photo on a neutral background, and printed it on photo paper at the right dimensions, and then cut it and stuck it on with paper glue. Looks 100% same as genuine passport photo.
In England I would just go down the supermarket and have a passport photo set taken at the booth there, the 3 remaining photos can be useful again this year. But I don't know where they have photo booths here, everything is difficult here.

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Estimable Member

@itexpert7 Good tip to pay attention to. Thanks!

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online