Driving Licence Exchange - need help – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Driving Licence Exchange - need help

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@smiledebs)

Hi,

I need some help with how to get a response from IMT regarding my partner's driving licence. 

We started the process in Dec 2020, finally in Nov 2021 IMT took his details and payment and we send the required documents. Since then, we have heard nothing. 

I have written using IMT's contact forms. I tried to ring a number I used before, which didn't work. Then found this number 808 488 488 and tried yet again. Problem is, having listened to the two options, I don't understand what to choose.  

I am ready make my request in Portuguese, but I just struggle to understand the words coming back at me. This feels like an insurmountable barrier and is as deeply discouraging as it is frustrating. 

Anyone offer advice??

thank you. 

8 Replies

Cara
Community Member
(@cara)
Trusted Member

If memory serves me correctly, when you call that number you will want to press option 1 and then option 3.  This will take you to the department that handles exchange of foreign licences. 

I have called twice and neither time was English spoken.  I managed to accomplish it in Portuguese, but at the time of the calls (6 months ago or so) I had a semester and a bit under my belt of Portuguese language education in a university. If you can't understand the recorded options, I would really recommend getting a Portuguese person to call and represent you.

If you are annoyed about the unreasonable delay and want to complain, this link can be used:

https://www.provedor-jus.pt/en/who-we-are/faq/file-a-complaint/

My husband has used it extensively to complain about almost every interaction he has had with arms of the Portuguese government or public bodies.  They will get back to you in about 2-3 weeks and in about a third of the instances he did actually achieve results by doing this. At least you will get answers about the progress of your case through this route and English can be used.  

1 Reply
Community Member
(@smiledebs)

@cara hello, thank you. the options really help and the link to complain is very useful. 

16 months of effort to try to change a licence is really too much. 

Community Member
(@ismoore999)

After paying you should have got an email telling you to book an appointment for your biometrics, and send your driving licence back to IMT.

Did you receive this? This seems to be automatic once you have made payment? 

Also attached is a PDF you can print out that you need to take to IMT.

They will stamp this PDF and take your photograph for Biometics.

Let me know what happened once you made payment (which I assume was via MB)

Community Member
(@pauly)

I am going through this at the moment. Both at the IMT in Portugal and Consulado Portuguese in Newark NJ (where I am registered) the same instructions have been given to me.  

1. The Drivers Abstract or whatever you choose to call it... (Drivers history, certified drivers abstract etc.) This document needs to be Aposilled by the Consulate or US Embassy (depending on where you live).  In my case the Consulado in Newark has to take care of that.  On their web page they have instructions on all the documents required,  money order and a stamped returned envelope which need to be mailed in. ( If you are not registered with that office you'll need to take care of that first and that requires an appointment. )

I'm doing all this one step at a time.

Although, IMT has the option for this to be done on line once you have the documents Im not so sure thats the case.  I still think the Drivers Abstract need to be presented in person or by mailed not a copy or scanned. Unless someone else can answer that for me.

Community Member
(@nonick)

I applied online and uploaded all the required documents and it was successfully registered in the system confirmed by an email. About 2 months later I got an email giving me an appointment at the nearest IMT office to hand over the documents and license in person. I did that and now have a temporary Portugal only driving permit and await the delivery of the Portuguese license which could be quite a wait according to what I have read.

1 Reply
 ACK
Community Member
(@ack)

Trusted Member

@nonick Not all that long really.  In my case, about a month from appointment at IMT to delivery. This took place in March - April 2022.

Page 1 / 2

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online