exchanging drivers license – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

exchanging drivers license

Page 1 / 2

Anonymous
Topic starter

Hubby & I did not get our Driver's license exchanged after we got our new residency cards because of the COVID-19 lockdown and restrictions.

Can anyone tell me the Name of the place that I need to go to in Faro, Algarve, and do I need an appointment?

Do they have a web site or phone number that you could share?
Thanks Peggy

21 Replies
3 Replies
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @peggyl

Hubby & I did not get our Driver's license exchanged after we got our new residency cards because of the COVID-19 lockdown and restrictions.

Can anyone tell me the Name of the place that I need to go to in Faro, Algarve, and do I need an appointment?

Do they have a web site or phone number that you could share?
Thanks Peggy

Hi Peggy,

Can I just ask something?

You have residency Cards ?

And, sorry, what is DOT & KY

Just don't like understanding stuff 😕

Chris 

Anonymous

@christopherdouglas

Hi Chris, So Sorry about the abbreviations. I should be more respectful of all the different nationalities represented on this site. "DOT" is the Department of Transportation. They are responsible for everything that has to do with the roads: building, repairing, driver's license, car tags, etc...

"KY" is the abbreviation for Kentucky. The state that we moved from. All states have an official 2 letter abbreviation for the post. Someone choose "KY" for Kentucky because "Bluegrass,horses,and Bourbon" was too much to fit on an envelope. 😎 😉 

Yes, my husband and I both got our residency cards just before the COVID-19 lockdown. I had to take mine back because the address was incorrect on the back. Somebody was asleep at the wheel that day. It's the same address as my husband. My name was correct and the street was correct but the city was not right.

It took another 3 weeks to get a corrected one in the post.

Again, sorry for the abbreviations.

@peggyL

VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @peggyl

@christopherdouglas

Hi Chris, So Sorry about the abbreviations. I should be more respectful of all the different nationalities represented on this site. "DOT" is the Department of Transportation. They are responsible for everything that has to do with the roads: building, repairing, driver's license, car tags, etc...

"KY" is the abbreviation for Kentucky. The state that we moved from. All states have an official 2 letter abbreviation for the post. Someone choose "KY" for Kentucky because "Bluegrass,horses,and Bourbon" was too much to fit on an envelope. 😎 😉 

Yes, my husband and I both got our residency cards just before the COVID-19 lockdown. I had to take mine back because the address was incorrect on the back. Somebody was asleep at the wheel that day. It's the same address as my husband. My name was correct and the street was correct but the city was not right.

It took another 3 weeks to get a corrected one in the post.

Again, sorry for the abbreviations.

@peggyL

Hi Peggy, sorry, only just seen this 😕

Understand all that now 👍,I

good about the KY, thought it was a jelly 😳 but they could have used BHB for the bluegrass etc 😊

And, 3 weeks, that's a bit of a record for most government departments 😄😄😄

All the best,

Chris

1 Reply
 Anonymous

@richardhenshall

Thanks again, I contacted them via email to try and get an appointment.

My husband thinks we are going to jail for not getting it done sooner. 😆 I keep telling him that since our resident cards came, the IMT was probably closed due to COVID. And now our DL bureau in KY is closed. DO you know if we will need that paper from the DOT in KY saying what class car we are licensed to drive?

I could go ahead and attempt to get that. Thanks Peggy

Anonymous
Topic starter

obrigada!

VIP Member
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member

I would expect that if it's not a standard EU licence format you will need supporting documentation.  The IMT website will probably give the details somewhere but https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-exchange-recognition/portugal/index_en.htm may guide you too.

Anonymous
Topic starter

thank You

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online