exchanging drivers license – Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
exchanging drivers ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Blevins Franks Banner

exchanging drivers license  

RSS

(@peggyl)
Trusted Member Community Member
21/07/2020 1:34 am  

Hubby & I did not get our Driver's license exchanged after we got our new residency cards because of the COVID-19 lockdown and restrictions.

Can anyone tell me the Name of the place that I need to go to in Faro, Algarve, and do I need an appointment?

Do they have a web site or phone number that you could share?
Thanks Peggy

(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member VIP Member

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
21/07/2020 12:16 pm  

obrigada!

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
22/07/2020 3:07 pm  

@richardhenshall

Thanks again, I contacted them via email to try and get an appointment.

My husband thinks we are going to jail for not getting it done sooner. 😆 I keep telling him that since our resident cards came, the IMT was probably closed due to COVID. And now our DL bureau in KY is closed. DO you know if we will need that paper from the DOT in KY saying what class car we are licensed to drive?

I could go ahead and attempt to get that. Thanks Peggy

ReplyQuote
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member VIP Member
22/07/2020 3:13 pm  

I would expect that if it's not a standard EU licence format you will need supporting documentation.  The IMT website will probably give the details somewhere but https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-exchange-recognition/portugal/index_en.htm may guide you too.

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
22/07/2020 3:31 pm  

thank You

ReplyQuote
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member VIP Member
26/07/2020 4:34 pm  
Posted by: @peggyl

Hubby & I did not get our Driver's license exchanged after we got our new residency cards because of the COVID-19 lockdown and restrictions.

Can anyone tell me the Name of the place that I need to go to in Faro, Algarve, and do I need an appointment?

Do they have a web site or phone number that you could share?
Thanks Peggy

Hi Peggy,

Can I just ask something?

You have residency Cards ?

And, sorry, what is DOT & KY

Just don't like understanding stuff 😕

Chris 

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
26/07/2020 6:05 pm  

@christopherdouglas

Hi Chris, So Sorry about the abbreviations. I should be more respectful of all the different nationalities represented on this site. "DOT" is the Department of Transportation. They are responsible for everything that has to do with the roads: building, repairing, driver's license, car tags, etc...

"KY" is the abbreviation for Kentucky. The state that we moved from. All states have an official 2 letter abbreviation for the post. Someone choose "KY" for Kentucky because "Bluegrass,horses,and Bourbon" was too much to fit on an envelope. 😎 😉 

Yes, my husband and I both got our residency cards just before the COVID-19 lockdown. I had to take mine back because the address was incorrect on the back. Somebody was asleep at the wheel that day. It's the same address as my husband. My name was correct and the street was correct but the city was not right.

It took another 3 weeks to get a corrected one in the post.

Again, sorry for the abbreviations.

@peggyL

ReplyQuote
(@hartmill)
27/07/2020 9:11 am  

You need to visit the IMT in Faro to exchange your drivers licence. If it´s anything like ours, there is a long wait and they may not answer the phone. Best time to go to ours is around 1230, when locals go to lunch.

IMT R. Aboim Ascensao 14, 8000-498 Faro

Hours :

Open ⋅ Closes 4PM

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
27/07/2020 1:41 pm  

@hartmill

Thank You very much

Peggy

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
07/08/2020 2:19 pm  

JUST FYI: You can no longer be seen at the IMT to exchange your driver's license on a "walk-up" basis. You Must have an appointment. the doors are all locked and there is a big burly guard who comes to the door when it's almost time for someone's appointment. You are only allowed in when the person before you goes up to see the attendant. Then you can go in and wait. Otherwise, you are on the sidewalk. To make an appointment call 289 870 130   Best time to call is first thing in the morning or between 3 -4 in the afternoon. Be prepared to give your tax ID (Fisical #) and wait for them to get back in touch with you. You can also go to the IMT website and send an email requesting an appointment but you are wasting your time. They never seem to answer emails. I wrote half a dozen and never got a reply. I'm not sure how they send your appointment date and time, possibly CTT. We are still waiting but it has only been 4 days since our phone call went through. 😎 😆 

ReplyQuote
(@christopherdouglas)
25/08/2020 6:05 pm  
Posted by: @peggyl

@christopherdouglas

Hi Chris, So Sorry about the abbreviations. I should be more respectful of all the different nationalities represented on this site. "DOT" is the Department of Transportation. They are responsible for everything that has to do with the roads: building, repairing, driver's license, car tags, etc...

"KY" is the abbreviation for Kentucky. The state that we moved from. All states have an official 2 letter abbreviation for the post. Someone choose "KY" for Kentucky because "Bluegrass,horses,and Bourbon" was too much to fit on an envelope. 😎 😉 

Yes, my husband and I both got our residency cards just before the COVID-19 lockdown. I had to take mine back because the address was incorrect on the back. Somebody was asleep at the wheel that day. It's the same address as my husband. My name was correct and the street was correct but the city was not right.

It took another 3 weeks to get a corrected one in the post.

Again, sorry for the abbreviations.

@peggyL

Hi Peggy, sorry, only just seen this 😕

Understand all that now 👍,I

good about the KY, thought it was a jelly 😳 but they could have used BHB for the bluegrass etc 😊

And, 3 weeks, that's a bit of a record for most government departments 😄😄😄

All the best,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@hartmill)
25/08/2020 6:15 pm  

Hi Peggy.

Just had to sort out a problem with my wife’s driving licence. Same problems with contact and entry.

Eventually sorted it out with the help of a driving school. It did cost though!

ReplyQuote
(@peggyl)
25/08/2020 10:23 pm  

All a bit of a pain in the butt. I had stacks of paperwork but not the one paper they say they must have with an apostle on it, pretty ribbon & all. Most govt. offices have been very understanding of the issues with COVID and closings and inability to travel but the IMT seems to believe that ex-pats have the ability to cross all barriers like superman. And yet, Portugal has all these crazy, Mario Andretti drivers. Guess they are driving around without a license or some money has changed hands. I'll just do the best that I can and keep my envelope of papers & correspondence in the car in case the GNR decides a little old lady who is following the driving rules is too risky to be on the road. 

ReplyQuote

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online