Importing an Electric car - worth it? – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

Importing an Electric car - worth it?  

tdn
Community Member
Topic starter
(@tdn)
Eminent Member

Hello to all who has some experience with importing a car to Pt or anyone who can advise.
Would it be worth of doing so?
I am thinking of importing my electric car that I owned for about 5 years to Portugal from the US. My understanding is that this would be ISV free. And in addition due to it being electric there are no fees based on the engine size. Is that true?

Are there any sources I can read and find information about? What documents would I need? How easy/difficult is all this process of importing?

5 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

This website is good for info about importing a vehicle and includes the current legislation which covers the documents needed.

Whist electric cars can be imported ISV free, be mindful of possible hidden costs where some USA spec vehicles need parts changing to meet EU specs.

https://impostosobreveiculos.info/    

4 Replies
 tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Eminent Member

@old-bloke

greatly appreciated! Granted my car has both, km and ml units. And it is a left hand drive. But as you mentioned, I still need to read through the legislation. Thanks for the link!

Community Member
(@dgonzales)

@old-bloke The additional cost you are referring to is 23% VAT and 0%-10% custom duty based on what I'm reading from https://impostosobreveiculos.info/english/portuguese-taxes-on-cars/.  Is that correct?

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)

Eminent Member

@dgonzales

VAT is equivalent to a Sales tax in the US, meaning you pay tax when purchasing goods. If I am correct, VAT would be due, if you import a recently purchased car. I might be wrong. Perhaps anyone else can shed more light on it having previous experience 🙂

were you also thinking of importing a car? 
cute dogs, btw.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@dgonzales

My understanding is that IVA (VAT) is not charged on second hand vehicles and customs duty isn't due on importing personal goods (car) when immigrating to Portugal. 

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online