Moving to PT and cars and furnitures – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Moving to PT and cars and furnitures

Community Member
Topic starter
(@jeanmori7)
Eminent Member

Hi,  Not sure I chose the right topic but in any case, I have the following question.

Anyone moving/moved from North America and decided to move the big stuff they have like cars and furniture etc.??  Worth it or car and furniture are cheap in PT?  I am not attached to "things" well except the cat and my laptop.

Thank you in advance.

19 Replies

Premium Member
(@dance)
Trusted Member

I heard that cars is not worth it unless you have a collectible car.

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)
Estimable Member

We've been trying to find a shipping company to move about 8 boxes of personal items from the US to Portugal. Many of the companies have terrible reviews. The companies with good reviews are too busy to answer the phone or return emails. 

I did exchange a few emails with GIR, the company recommended here on the forum but I can't get them to follow up. They scheduled a phone interview with me for this morning but never called. I sent a couple more emails and those haven't been returned either. 

I'm beginning to think that all shipping companies are crap. 

17 Replies
Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@thunderduck and that means they my not be as reliable as you would like when it comes to delivery so be prepared to not have your stuff for a while or not at all IF you get to book one 🙂

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Estimable Member

@jeanmori7 Exactly. If it's this hard to get a shipping quote, imagine how difficult it would be if there's a problem. 

I just tried again to contact Global International Relocation. Apparently they don't  answer their phones or return calls. 

We would like to get our family photos and memories but I'm afraid we would pay a lot of money and still never get them. 

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@thunderduck Use a good phone and take pics before shipping.  I would be interested to know how this goes anyway.  I'm nowhere close to moving but I like to plan in advance (I even started to sell stuff).

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Estimable Member

@jeanmori7 Everything is already photographed and inventoried. We've been in Lisbon almost 9 months so we don't have much time left to do this duty-free. 

I've heard that ocean shipping is taking 3-4 months. Since everything must arrive within one year of our residency it looks like we'll have to use air freight or abandon our stuff. 

If only I could get a quote! 🙄 

(@susan-marie)

@thunderduck Leif and I have a zoom call with them this Thursday evening.  So far every email we send they have responded very quickly with any questions we have.  Even to the weight the 20 foot container contain.  We are bringing a small amount but prefer to have it shipped by container.

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Estimable Member

@susan-marie I just spoke to Luis for about half an hour. He is very friendly and quite helpful. We also have a small amount of stuff to move. Unfortunately the cost is more than replacement. We could buy the items here for less. That doesn't help with family photos and memories but those can be brought over in a few suitcases. 

We'll either make the trip back ourselves or pay for friends and family to come visit us and bring extra suitcases. 

Good luck with your move!

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@thunderduck Good to know.  Can you give me an idea of the price they quoted you?  Since I am not attached to much of the stuff we have I could not careless.  The laptop in one suitcase and the cat and the wife in the other I'm thinking 🙂  If she reads this I will be the one in the suitcase.

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Estimable Member

@jeanmori7 This is just a ballpark figure. He is still going to write up something more exact. Also, there were a lot of expenses that I didn't realize like getting the baggage certificate, customs, etc. They also have ways to save money and hassle. Things I'd rather not mention in a public forum.

For eight plastic storage boxes (30x20x15), all-in with insurance packing, delivery, etc. is over $3k. 

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@thunderduck 

30" or 30cm??

If it's cm, I have used parcelmonkey in the UK to send from the US some large boxes, and paid something like £100 per box for courier delivery within a week or so.

$3k is insane. I got a quote to send a whole container full of stuff to India by ship for $2k from Barcelona.

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Estimable Member

@itexpert7 30" with some weighing up to 35 pounds. 

Shipping costs have gone up but that does seem expensive. 

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@itexpert7 If I can get to ship a container full of boxes and a few pieces of furniture from Montreal to somewhere in Portugal for 2k (I'm assuming its 2k euros) then I'll take 2 🙂  What company was that?  For parcels, parcelmonkey seems to deliver from Canada to Portugal but whenever I type in a weight it comes back empty 🙁

Community Member
(@jeanmori7)

Eminent Member

@thunderduck Thank you I appreciate the information and I understand its a ballpark.  Everyone and their mother (or father) are taking advantage of the pandemic so maybe by the time I get to ship that stuff everyone will go back to be reasonable.

Zoom
(@zoom)

@thunderduck I've heard that shipping varies greatly by volume, i.e. a container with a bunch of furniture may not be that much more than 3 boxes. Just for kicks, I'd ask him for a quote for a 20-ft container. If there are multiple people shipping small amounts, maybe we can put it all together in one container? Just a thought. It's possible that the "fixed" costs (certificates, customs, local delivery etc) are a big chunk, and the actual shipping portion is not that much.

(@susan-marie)

@jeanmori7 LOL I don't think she would put you in the other suitcase!  Will not know the quote until Thursday evening but will keep you up to date as soon as we have it.

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@thunderduck What company was that?

Premium Member
(@thunderduck)

Estimable Member

@dance Global International Relocation

Premium members here get a 5% discount. 

Click here and scroll down:

https://expatsportugal.com/premium-member-benefits/

Premium Member
(@dance)

Trusted Member

@thunderduck Thanks for sharing.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online