Portuguese equivalent of SORN – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Portuguese equivalent of SORN

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member

is there a portuguese equivalent of SORN ??

if so where is it and is it easy to 'manage'?

we are paying 3-400 a year in car tax and insurance/IPO and not even getting over to see, let alone use the car

I imagine there are wil be drawbacks to doing it, but I would like to investigate to see my options

2 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

Hello!

Not in Portugal.
According to Portuguese law, any vehicle having a registration plate has to be insured.
Even if the car is locked in a garage, it can be broken into and stolen and used in a robbery, in a getaway, it can cause damage, injure or kill someone. The owner will be liable. If you do not have insurance you will have to pay compensation, repair the damage and also pay a fine for not having valid insurance.
Paying taxes and inspection is also part of having a car 🙂

If you fail to pay insurance and taxes, you will be in breach of Portuguese law.

Stay safe!

Ana

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

There is something similar to SORN but you have apply for the registration to be temporarily cancelled (5 years max) which will negate the need to pay IUC (road tax).
http://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Portugues/Veiculos/CancelamentoMatricula/Codigoestrada/Paginas/CodigodaEstrada.aspx

When the IPO (MOT) expires you will have to trailer it to an IPO station. There is no exemption in PT law for driving the car to a pre-arranged test like there is in the UK.

As for insurance, you may want to read this which relates to an unused and uninsured vehicle in Portugal that ended up in the European Court of Justice.
https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2018-09/cp180125en.pdf

spartan Fx

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online