Renting / Leasing a car for 1 month stay in Portugal. – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Renting / Leasing a car for 1 month stay in Portugal.

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@deras)

Hey folks, I've booked my ticket to Portugal for the 18th of August to the 18th of september, and thus need a car for that duration. I've tried looking around for a leasing option for 1 month, without luck. Can anyone recommend me a good service that doesn't cost astronomical amounts?

Kindest regards

Dennis

Topic Tags
21 Replies

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Zestcarrental.com I've used them for many years, about 15 times, best prices and use small local companies in Portugal. Best of all full insurance is included, and they actually pay out if there's a claim.
I rented a car with them for 4 months when we came in December to Faro. (3 weeks to begin with and then extending by email without needing to return the car)

4 Replies
Community Member
(@deras)

@itexpert7 Do you remember how much you ended up paying for renting for a month? 'cause all i am seeing are prices of 1600+ euro, which seems crazy in my head for 1 month. In DK we can get the same for about 500 euro for a month by "mini-leasing" a car.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@deras 
I paid around 300 euros a month as it was off season winter, and the car was automatic, manual cars are cheaper.

I just checked for you and prices start from 1019 euros for a month starting next week in Faro. And 1400 for August 18 to September 18 (32 days). And Zest gives full insurance for free. I guess it's the busiest time of the year.

Community Member
(@deras)

@itexpert7 Apparently so, yea - i tried to have return be a week earlier and ended up around 700 euro, so that one week is pretty expensive apparently. I'll look around a bit more - thanks for pointing me in the direction of Zest, they seem pretty useful.

Premium Member
(@smokietreats)

car rentals are through the roof right now everywhere.  Same with used car prices.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Trouble is, high season combined with (I presume) airport/tourist area prices. If you want to save loads, look at outlying cities (not just off airport in the same city) accessible by public transport. 

Europcar Lisbon locations for your dates - €2000

Europcar Santarém for same dates - €500

(Prices from the Europcar site just now)

Pros - save 3/4 of the total

Cons -  10 mins metro to Oriente, 40 mins train to Santarém, short taxi ride (and ditto in reverse); office closed weekends so you'd have to return it a day early and stay overnight in Santarém or Lisbon on your last night.

This is just an example, I am not pushing Santarém or Europcar! If flying into Faro, fewer options exist of this kind, but would also work for Porto.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@deras)

@thomasribatejo I tried with only 3 weeks instead of 4 and got around 719 euro, so that last week is expensive apparently. I think i'll stick with Santarém, especially if there's some kind of bus / train that goes there from Lisbon.

Thanks a ton for pointing me in that direction, i hadn't considered the outlying cities at all 😀

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@deras no worries! It is a slight faff of course, but my logic was, summer is only busy with tourists, and outlying cities mainly cater to business/local markets, which if anything would be quieter in summer.

Santarém is not your only option, it's just the one I know best! Europcar has always come out cheapest there for me, though there is definitely also Avis, and possibly others. On the same line, you also have Entroncamento, which may have car rental places (and its station is central); or South of the Tagus could also have options. But Santarém is worth a visit if you have reason to be nearby, as well 😀

Good luck with it all! If you do head through Santarém, feel free to send me a PM here.

Thomas

Discover the beautiful Ribatejo!

facebook.com/groups/ribatejoliving

Need help with planning, surveys and restoration? Contact us!

reabilitejo.pt or facebook.com/reabilitejo

Community Member
(@jeanne)
Estimable Member

The Zest website says 'free collision damage waiver with no excess', but then there is a pop up note saying :

'Full Collision Damage Waiver and Full Theft Waiver are included with NO insurance excess liability. Damage to certain parts of the vehicle are excluded but can be covered by our optional top-up insurance.'

But I cannot find any information regarding what's excluded. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@jeanne 
If you continue to the next page, it says, the car glass, underbody, tyres, etc. The usual exclusions from full insurances.

Premium Member
(@pinehouse)
Eminent Member

We rented a car with this company for the first 3 weeks of May and they were very reasonable...around EUROS100 pw...try them....pick up in Praia de Rocha

Nuno Rodrigues

Reservations Department

AUTO RENT – ALGARVE CAR HIRE

Tel:    +351 282 417 171

@:      reservas@autorent.pt

Av. Tomás Cabreira,

Edif Vista Mar, Loja-I

8500-802 Portimão - PORTUGAL

2 Replies
Community Member
(@deras)

@pinehouse That is awesome, except for it being in the Algarve and i land in Lisbon 😀 Thanks for the suggestion though Pinehouse 🙂

Dann
Community Member
(@dann)

@deras I had the same problem trying to rent for a month in Spain.  Very expensive.  I found that if I booked two 2-week rental periods it became quite cheap.  You'll get a different car, but it was a good way to beat the high cost of a months rental.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online