Storage of car for 3 months at a time/ registration if not NHR? – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Storage of car for 3 months at a time/ registration if not NHR?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@emergentt)
Eminent Member

Hi, 

We are strongly considering spending 5-6 months a year in Portugal as I begin to get closer and closer to retirement. But the tourist visa into Schengen only allows 90 days per 6 months. 

A) can I import a car into Portugal from US and not register as I’ll not be a resident but use it for 5-6 months per year? Or do I need to register it as a tourist?

B) how would one recommend storing it for the other six months? Long term storage? Loan to friends we make during our visits? Other?

C) um.... insurance... insure in Portugal? Keep my US insurance?

sorry to have so many questions but it looks like rental cars are upwards of $1000/month which seems silly if we make a habit of this...

thanks in advance...

6 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

A) - No, the car can only be in PT for 6 months maximum without being registered in PT.

B) - A foreign registered car temporarily in PT can only be driven by the owner or immediate family (husband/wife/son/daughter/parent).

C) - You would need PT insurance, and that will be difficult to get without the car being on PT number plates or in the process of being PT registered.

Sorry, your plan is a non starter if you don't want to risk the car being impounded.

You can get cheap car rental in the off season, you just need to shop around.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Eminent Member

@old-bloke

Thank you for your responses. I'm assuming I can't register the car in Portugal if I am a non resident. Even if I have a NIF and a portugal agent/ lawyer or something?

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@emergentt

Anyone can import and register a car (to a PT address) but as a non resident you would have to pay the ISV registration fee which, subject to the vehicle, can make it not financially viable.

Here's a link to an ISV calculator (site in Portuguese) so you can work out how much the ISV would be.
https://impostosobreveiculos.info/isv/simulador-isv/#principal

Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Eminent Member

@old-bloke

Excellent thanks for the advice!

Admin
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Hello @emergentt

Might be worth joining Automóvel Clube de Portugal (ACP) who can advise on matriculation if you decide to import your car to Portugal. They can also advise on long term rentals. See this link: https://expatsportugal.com/business-directory/acp-automovel-clube-de-portugal/

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@emergentt)

Eminent Member

@gerry

Thanks! I had heard this podcast before. Great idea.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online