Tour/car service question - Douro region – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Tour/car service question - Douro region

Zoom
Topic starter
(@zoom)

Planning to spend a couple of days at a Douro winery near Pinhao - and on the way back we'd like to get a tour/car trip back to Porto. Is this possible? Anybody recommend a tour guide or company that does this?

We've looked at renting a car but availability seems very limited and prices are sky-high (120-150/day) - we'd rather pay that to a local entrepreneur than a corporate rental co.

6 Replies

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Estimable Member

I recommend you catch the river boat in Pinhao or Régua and take it back to Porto. You go through the locks and it is fantastic. I also recommend you take the train from São Bento train station to Pinhao. You will see a lot and also get a taste of public transportation in Portugal

https://www.viator.com/tours/Porto/Day-Cruise-from-Porto-to-Pinhao-with-Breakfast-and-Lunch/d26879-7592P9

1 Reply
 Zoom
(@zoom)

@bert thanks a lot for the recommendation - we're planning to take the train from Aveiro, and change in porto to the Douro outbound, but had not realized it was possible to take the cruise one-way.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Where is the car rental so expensive, can you be specific please?
Which cheap online broker are you using?

2 Replies
 Zoom
(@zoom)

@itexpert7 actually I stay away from the online brokers - usually turns out more expensive or a big hassle if something goes wrong. I tend to stick to Avis or Hertz, but I also checked Sixt and Europcar - they all want well over 100 euros/day.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@zoom
Ah then it makes total sense that it's so expensive!

I've rented cars 12 times in the past 2 years.
Always through my trusted online website, paid 1/3rd to half of direct prices using the same agents. But in Portugal it's nice that got to use local small companies through the broker website, some with 0 excess/deposit. Rented for 4 months this year.
I checked and the website has Porto cars from just over 50 euros in the next 3 days. With full insurance!
In 1 of the 12 times indeed I had a problem in 2019, Europcar alleged that I scratched the alloy of a Mercedes B class in Germany, and charged me 850 euros for a ... new wheel! (for a tiny alloy scratch!!). The online broker's insurance paid in full after I emailed all papers to them.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

I agree with Bert, much the best way to travel is boat or train, spectacular views

• EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ course
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online