Transferring ownership of a car – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Transferring ownership of a car

9 Posts
6 Users
12 Likes
 Mads
Community Member
Topic starter
(@mads)

Hi All, Hope the sun is shining there whatever part you are in - I am looking for some advice on car selling/ transferring.

I visit P three or four times a year and like to have a car to get around. Renting is a pain. I want to buy a runaround and keep it parked at my friend's garage. As far as I can gather, to do this, I need to get a NIF, which would be ok I guess because being a non tax resident, I wouldn't have yearly tax returns costs etc, I really don't need all that.

My friend has a house there, owned by a offshore company he had to buy to get the house, and has offered to have the car transferred into the company and then I would be able to drive it by just having my driver's licence.

I don't know much about offshore companies and Portuguese tax etc but I imagine plenty of tourists have places there done in such ways. I don't want to get my friend into trouble and don't know much about the process in general, but not warming to the NIF idea either (maybe will be other fiscal obligations )...

Any advice very welcome!

8 Replies

VIP Member
(@jonesdn2020)

No sunshine here. Lots of rain. You do need a NIF to buy the car if I remember correctly. Then comes whether you need a fiscal rep. If your friend is a resident he could be your rep. Not much else unless you get flagged as crossing some boundary on time or circumstances that PT could flag you as a tax resident  

Transferring the ownership is out of my realm. Not sure about the taxes etc. 

Community Member
(@martin)

offshore companies...many have the scars on their back with those things

brief recap - once the "thing to do" was to buy offshore as recomended by lawyers, agents, accountants etc

then the govt decided to put extra tax on them resulting in either have to close the firms down and transfer the asset into  the owners real name at great expense, those who didnt have the thing around their neck and if they can sell then the new owner aquires all the tax due and problems associated

simple answer - offshore - barge pole - dont touch

VIP Member
(@antonio_f)

To buy a vehicle you need a NIF (person) or a NIPC (company), passport/ID/Residence Permit and proof of adress. A company can own a vehicle, but must pay the yearly tax (IUC), take it to the yearly inspection (IPO) and have insurance.

1 Reply
Premium Club Member
(@itexpert7)

@antonio_f 
But does the person's address need to be in Portugal?
And when does the IPO start, on year 3 or on year 4 of the car's life?

VIP Member
(@antonio_f)

Yes, a portuguese car needs a portuguese adress. IPO takes place at year 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, etc...

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

FREE
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Register for events

Club Member

Ideal for those already living in Portugal or researching
67 per year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Guaranteed entry to our weekly webinars
  • Access to our Migration Tuesdays Dream Team weekly webinar
  • Receive community support
  • And help us grow this website and community

Premium Club Member

Perfect for those serious about making the move
137 per year
  • All Club Member benefits plus...
  • 3 months FREE access to DailyNata Plus Portuguese language platform
  • 1 hour private online consultation with a member of our team
  • Access to our “little black book” of contacts and recommendations
  • Hundreds of €s in Savings & Benefits from our partners