What about bicycles? – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

EI Banner

What about bicycles?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@bdgfn)
Eminent Member

I am an avid bicycler, and my wife also enjoys cylcing. We would like to have bicycles in Portugal (we are planning on living in the Eastern Algarve...think Tavira and east to the Spanish border) and would love to be able to bike and hike to the beach as well as around town and the surrounding area. Our question is regarding buying a bike there as opposed to bringing them with us from Germany. We have a pair of Trek hybrid (mountain/road bikes) and they are heavy. They are also about 12 years old, and mine has a LOT of miles on it! (Think half-century rides, century rides, etc). How expensive are bicycles there? User or new. We are hoping for something not as heavy as we currently have in case we need to hang the bikes for storage if storage space is limited. I am 70 and she is 65). Shipping costs are not a factor as I will be retiring here and my company will pay the relocation costs. What have y'all found as far as costs for bicycles there? Do we get rid of our bikes and buy "new" ones here, or wait and get them there? I know vehicles are more expensive in Portugal as are electronics. Just wondering about bicycles, and we are not looking at electric bikes at this point. Thanks much!

9 Replies

Community Member
(@jeanne)
Trusted Member

Hi.  There is a Dutch guy (who better!?) with a bike shop in Almancil. Despite the name of his website, he also sells 'regular' bikes.   You can take a look here to get an idea of bike prices in PT. 

Martinsebike.com

And did you know that Portugal is Europe's largest manufacturer of bikes? RTE.PT in Vila Nova de Gaia.   but i don't know if they sell retail. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Eminent Member

@jeanne Awesome, thank you! I have the site bookmarked for future use! 👍

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Trusted Member

I found out that due to the hills here, it's impossible for me to use a normal bike, so I bought a lovely e-bike with a rear seat for my 6 year old daughter, that still needs a lot of pedalling with the hills (as the motor is only 250watts). I'm very happy with it and use it every day. I got it delivered from the Netherlands at a decent price.

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Eminent Member

@itexpert7 Thank you. My wife is leaning towards an ebike and I might be as well. I think it will depend on where we settle. We are targetting the eastern Algarve, around Tavira and east towards Vila Real de Santo Antonio. I have been thinking somewhere where we can walk to cafes, markets, shops, etc, and walk or bike to the beach. And I also know the closer to a larger town and closer to the beaches will be more expensive, so I guess we will need to be patient until we know for sure. Hopefully we will be able to make a trip there later this summer or fall to try and narrow it down a bit before retiring at the end of the year or early next year. We definitely want to be in Portugal this time next year.

Community Member
(@jeanne)

Trusted Member

@bdgfn. I am also interested in a walking+cycling life. Not just for recreation, but somewhere I can carry out daily activities by bike.  If you have any insights after your scouting expedition , I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the best locations. I'm wondering whether the Algarve would be better or a university town like Coimbra.

Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Eminent Member

@itexpert7 by the way, looking at your username, what kind of IT expert are you? I am a network engineer myself but for the past six years I have been doing network monitoring in a Theater Network Operations Center, and predominately managing the network managing software (we use CA [now Broadcom] Spectrum) on Linux RHEL7 servers. Just a professional curiosity.

Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@bdgfn lol, we're all here, I'm a retired linux systems engineer, having spent the past 20 years building linux HPC systems for a US national laboratory.

Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Eminent Member

@michael_tn Nice! I will be joining you in the retired ranks within the next year!

Premium Member
(@terrell)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the info in this thread! On a related note (getting around by biking), do public buses have bike racks on them? This is relatively common in the U.S. for city routes, and it would also be great to hear if buses that go out further into the countryside have racks or some means to load on a bike. Thanks in advance, expats, for any info you may have! 

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online