What's up with TAP Air Portugal? – Cars, Transport & Getting Around – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

What's up with TAP Air Portugal?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@curiousredhead)

I'm in the U.S. and have tried to make flight reservations (for October 2021) using flyTAP.com. After finding an available flight, their booking engine presents a glitch when you try to enter your DOB and other information, so that you are unable to complete your booking. The same glitch also prevents you from signing up for an online account.

When you try to call their customer service number, either direct dial to Portugal or the U.S. 1-800 number, no one ever picks up. Entering your number for an agent to call you back also yields no results. 

They do list their Facebook page, Twitter, and Skype account as online contact options, which seems rather unconventional.

In sum, this certainly doesn't seem up to par with modern customer service standards. I realize that they are a nationalized airline. What's up with TAP Air Portugal?

7 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

I've had past issues with their website - haven't tried recently, though. Have you tried using a different browser, as a first thought? I found this worked for a previous issue, a couple of years ago.

Some of their online form boxes are "picky". You may have tried these, but:

Are you entering DOB in international format, day then month?

Are there any other elements where you are using punctuation which it may not accept, like -',. ? Generally, never use these in names, addresses, numbers...

Are some things like phone numbers or loyalty numbers conflicting (sometimes, country codes are pre-populated so you need to drop the 1 for example; or the loyalty number needs you to include or omit the leading element.)

Are you calling during Portuguese working hours, if calling a Portuguese number? It shouldn't matter, but in practice, it may make a difference. Try early in the day Portuguese time, for instance.

Ultimately, it may be better to book the same flights via another site which doesn't take you to TAP's site, if it's urgent.

Their customer service issues are well known and longstanding, just as bad during their private sector time. They were just getting their act together pre-COVID (many will disagree, but I was using them monthly back then, and there was a mostly positive trajectory) but of course since then they've shed vast amounts of staff, have huge customer service call volumes, and no certainty over resumption of flights, job security, etc... This doesn't help you, I know!

Community Member
Topic starter
(@curiousredhead)

Thank you for the tips Thomas! I would have given up already and just booked with another airline but I have COVID vouchers from them that I'd like to use. Anyhow, hope to have good news to report on my efforts sometime soon.

2 Replies
(@thomasribatejo)

@curiousredhead ah yes! I have about €600 in those vouchers, which I have kinda written off 😐 but yes, stick with it, hope something works for you!

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)

Estimable Member

@curiousredhead Dear Curious Redhead. I am also a US resident and actually have only ever had wonderful service from them. The direct flight from SFO to Lisbon is great. I too have had to change tickets and most recently they just suspended my ticket until PT opens up again. They do in fact answer their phones  and I have had the most success calling at 5am, 1pm and 10 pm pacific time.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@curiousredhead)

Hi Thomas, Bert,

Wanted to close the loop and let you know that I was finally able to reach TAP by phone from the U.S. It took multiple tries and several transfers and disconnections, but I was able to use my voucher to secure a roundtrip flight for October. 

Happy dance!

Gina

1 Reply
(@thomasribatejo)

@curiousredhead

Wonderful! Funnily enough, I was just thinking of this yesterday when booking with TAP with a voucher... It all worked fine, and I wondered whether your situation had been resolved.

Bert
Premium Member
(@bert)
Estimable Member

I think I waited maybe an hour after having to be switched due to the nature of my rebooking with vouchers, credits etc. No problem. I still contend when booking with them from the US time of day calling makes a huge difference. 

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online