Recent thoughts on Azeitão? – Where to Live in Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Recent thoughts on Azeitão?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

I searched the forum and found some very old posts on living in Azeitão but am wondering if folks have any current thoughts about the area. My wife and I saw a fabulous house today  but Azeitão seems a bit out of the way (of course that could be good and bad). It seems to have a nice location relative to both Lisbon and Setúbal but am I mistaken? Is it too much country and isolation? Is there anything people love or hate about it? We'd appreciate any/all comments.

20 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

My initial thoughts - as someone who has not lived there - is that it feels slightly suburban (and indeed it is on the extremity of the urban spread down from the port towns South of Lisbon) and is on a busy main road (the N10) without actually having great transport options.

However, it is within striking distance of Lisbon, beaches, natural beauty, retail, and has good road connections, including towards the South.

For some, this would be an excellent balance, I suspect, and I know people who absolutely love living near (but definitely not in) Setúbal. For me personally, I think it's somehow neither urban nor rural. I don't think it's too rural, however.

11 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@thomasandmatthew "excellent balance" - that sums what we think too. Great observation.

Zoom
(@zoom)

@thomasandmatthew Hmm, sounds like it fails my pastelaria and cafe/bar test...

(@thomasribatejo)

@zoom I think it has both 🙂 I'm certainly not aiming to put people off! It's not a village, these days, for sure. It also has famous wineries, and excellent cheese!

Zoom
(@zoom)

@thomasandmatthew Oooh, wine AND cheese - it's back in! Seriously, though, it does look like a good balance, but it seems a bit more car-dependent than we'd like - @jordan_zimmerman we're planning to check out the area in June/July, in case you're waiting to visit...

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@zoom thanks - we were there yesterday

Zoom
(@zoom)

@jordan_zimmerman oops - sorry - I thought you're still in the US - in that case I'd love to hear your impressions of it!

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@zoom We thought it was lovely. Not quite rural and not quite urban as was said above. Close enough to both Setúbal and Lisbon but still away from it all. Tons of natural beauty and near the ocean too - lots of woods and air. However, there are stores such as Lidl and Continente just minutes away. We'll probably move either to or near Azeitão.

Zoom
(@zoom)

@jordan_zimmerman really appreciate your feedback! We also have been seeing some nice houses in that area (Azeitao/Palmela/Sesimbra), and keep wondering whether its too rural (we lived in a typical California suburb for a long time, and really don't want to drive for every gallon of milk and a cup of coffee). Best of luck with your move!

Community Member
(@arteastronomical)

Azeitão is great, my ex-girlfriend use to live there. I was travel from Odivelas to Azeitão at least all weekends. I know very well that town.

Azeitão is a small village/town (vila in Portuguese) is not a city, and is not only famous by the wines and cheese, but also famous about their honey and pastries. I love the pastry call "Tortas de Azeitão" my favorite, but they have a few different pastries from that region. They make one the best rosemary honey in Portugal at least, search in google for "Honey Perfect" (yes the name is in English) brand. 

And you have everything at 5 minutes by car from Azeitão, there are a city call Quinta do Conde (very close) with everything all different banks, health center, gyms, pool, all different supermarkets, with all the stores for the different internet/phone/Cable providers, a post office, etc. dont need travel to Setúbal or Lisbon. About Hospital you have 2 major hospital (Almada and Setúbal) both at <20 minutes.

About public transportation is not like in small town in the countryside of Portugal, because Azeitão is in the middle of one important road, N10 road was the first build between Lisbon and Setúbal and all the regional buses between Lisbon and Setúbal pass/stop there. 

PS: They have a monthly market (first Sunday of the month) that is famous, because is huge, people come even from Lisbon to buy in that market and you can find everything from all the country, like ham, regional sweets, cheeses, jams from all over Portugal. When i was visiting my girlfriend i use to go to buy some Lamego regional bread to my mom, she misses that bread because she was born/grew up in Lamego.

Zoom
(@zoom)

@arteastronomical This is great info - thank you so much! We can't to come and check it out for ourselves!

(@cabanastavira)

@thomasandmatthew

Agreed the cheese IS excellent!

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

FYI - we ended up buying the house. So, we will soon be residents of Azeitão!

7 Replies
Community Member
(@arteastronomical)

@jordan_zimmerman Great choice. You going to have a very peaceful life, a very good quality of life the air there is not polluted because close by you have the arrábida mountains and the winds that come from ocean dont reach your zone because you are protected by arrábida mountains (a little less cold in the winter) many pine trees planted along the lagoon of albufeira ("lagoa de Albufeira" in Portuguese to search in google), a great beach for kids no waves, i recommend to go to this beach is amazing.

Because my grandmother leave some land in Lamego i'm going to live in Lamego next year because after this year i can work from home or else i was selling my apartment in Odivelas and buy a detached house there (yes the price is almost the same because Odivelas have metro to Lisbon and apartments cost a lot where i live). In the Lisbon valley i love by heart this to little town one is Azeitão and the other is Benavente (same vibe of Azeitão and a little more cheap but Benavente dont have beaches close by). 

There is a good YouTube Channel (in English) from one couple that move from UK to Azeitão, but he is Portuguese. They in one of the videos they tell why they choose Azeitão. 

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@arteastronomical fantastic - thank you so much for this!

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@jordan_zimmerman

Congratulations well done!
You aim to complete by August? How many houses did you see before you found the "one"?

I see Azeitão is convenient for Lisbon and Palmela (although I found the traffic in Palmela this weekend and the quality of the roads quite bad).

How is the beach situation there? On the map I only see some small beaches down the mountain, 15+ minutes drive from Azeitão.
Are the beaches crowded at warm weekends?

Kind Regards,
Michael.

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 We saw maybe 10-15 properties over the course of a few weeks. Honestly, we didn't intend to buy anything until later this year but this house had everything we were looking for and was in our price range so we had to take it. This even though we won't live here permanently until approx Oct/Sept this year. The house should be ours in a few weeks. We've already signed the CPCV and are just waiting on the bank.

Azeitão is a good compromise location. I wanted to be a bit closer to Lisbon but 1/2 hour by car (sans rush-hours) is reasonable. And Setúbal only 20 min away is a real plus. We took a drive to Arrabida and that seems lovely. Sesimbra is about 1/2 hour way and there are other beaches too as I understand it.

Community Member
(@arteastronomical)

@itexpert7

Not to far you have one the largest beach in the Lisbon Valley call "linha da Costa" go from Costa da Caparica to Meco.

I love the lagoa de Albufeira beach, you have a lagoon without waves great to kids, and the Atlantic ocean beach with big waves to surf at least in winter.

PS: Be aware that the near beach (south) close of the lagoon beach is a nude beach (the only nude beach in Lisbon region). 

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@arteastronomical

Hi, I just been to the lagoa de Albufeira on Monday, looks nice, but it was very cold, as well as on Sunday. Also the lagoa seems to been polutted with white thick cloths, endless of them at the shores near the sea in the sand (from a ship?).
The sea water was so cold that I felt pain when I put just 1 foot in 😀
Algarve is warmer. Mediterranean is perfect, I miss it.
Hehe, yes is saw the nudist beach on the map, not a problem 😀 We saw a house very near to it, 30 mins walk.

Community Member
(@arteastronomical)

@itexpert7 I believe you, the last time i was there was in the summer of 2019.

This year Portugal is very cold and with lots of rain, he's being the worst weather in 20 years.  

Normally at this time the beaches start to be full. 

The sea/ocean currents(?) are still coming from the north when they use to change in the end of April. 

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online