Visas & Permits - Expats Portugal

Visas & Permits

If you are a citizen of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Principality of Andorra or Switzerland, you are entitled to live and work freely in Portugal. If you wish to remain for more than 3 months, you must apply for a residency permit through your local Camara (town hall). You can also apply online and obtain full details of documents required from the Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras (SEF).

After you have held a residency certificate for 5 consecutive years, you may apply for a Permanent Residence Certificate.

You may also be eligible to apply for tax benefits under Portugal’s non-habitual resident tax regime (NHR). Essentially, this provides the opportunity to enjoy 10 years of generous tax breaks. For more information, you should contact an NHR specialist accountant or lawyer. Check our Business Directory for English-friendly specialists.

UK citizens wishing to relocate may be affected by Brexit and the situation should be continually monitored. For more information check the UK Government website pages Living in Portugal.

Citizens from other countries

Citizens from outside the above-mentioned countries that wish to live in Portugal will require a visa. For full details visit the SEF website.

You may also be eligible to apply for a Golden Visa where you can fast track permanent residency through investment in Portugal. For more details, you should contact a company that specialises in this area.



Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online